Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cooked Amaranth

I tried cooking whole amaranth (which is used as a grain but is really a seed) for the first time last week. It's very easy to cook, similar to quinoa and millet. And like quinoa and millet, it's very easy to digest and highly nutritious.

1/2 cup amaranth
1 cup water
pinch of salt

Bring water, amaranth and salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Stir before serving.

I have a friend who enjoys amaranth as a hot cereal for breakfast. She drizzles honey or maple syrup over the amaranth and adds some dried fruit and nuts. I'm a savory kind of person and chose to serve it in place of rice with a Thai red curry, which I really enjoyed. I like having options - rice, quinoa, millet or amaranth, instead of feeling stuck in the same old rut (rice, pasta or potatoes). I never new there were so many interesting grains before going gluten free. I'm really glad I found them.

To read more about amaranth, go here. For amaranth's nutritional content, see here.

No comments: