Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

GFCF Egg free Chicken Nuggets

So, it's confirmed. My BFF's son is allergic to corn! Poor guy - I know how hard it is to avoid corn. All those boxes of Ian's chicken nuggets, etc., - the only pre-packaged gluten free chicken nuggets we can find that have no egg coating - rendered useless. I found myself thinking about this today as I was making chicken nuggets for my girls. I use my corn-free chicken nugget coating mix because frankly, I like to eat these chicken nuggets too. They are good on top of salad! But tonight I ran out of eggs. So I used So Delicious coconut milk to coat the chicken and the nuggets turned out really good. The coconut milk is pretty thick and doesn't need an egg to help the coating stick to the chicken. And the girls didn't even bat an eyelid over dinner.

Here are some other egg-free options you can use to make the coating stick to your chicken nuggets:

mustard (Julie, what a fabulous idea - thanks for sharing it!)
olive oil
yogurt
BBQ sauce

And here's what you do, simply:

1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/3 cup corn-free chicken nugget coating mix
1/4 cup So Delicious coconut milk or other egg-free coating of your choice
1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more if needed

Cut the chicken into 1 inch thick strips. Place in a bowl with the coconut milk and stir to coat chicken evenly. Place the coating mix in a ziplock plastic bag. Take the chicken out of the coconut milk and place in the bag. Seal the top, then shake the bag to coat the chicken.

Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Open the bag of chicken and shake off excess coating before placing chicken in the skillet. Cook a few minutes until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and cook until golden brown on the other side, adding a little olive oil as needed to prevent sticking. Remove from skillet and serve warm.

4 comments:

irene said...

Wow, Erin, I never would have thought of using So Delicious coconut milk for making chicken nuggets! Is there anything you can't do with these delicious beverages? My GFCF son loves the stuff. I can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing it.

Erin said...

You're welcome! I hope you like it. My girls love the coconut milk too...vanilla flavored. I don't care for it straight up in a glass- my choice is Pacific Hazelnut milk. Thanks for your comment!

Julie Tupper said...

Thanks for thinking of us, Erin! Your amazing! I think I will skip the Coconut Milk, since one thing he can have [at the moment at least] is dairy. I have tried 1% Milk in the past and it works terrific. Or if I can find a "safe" honey mustard....that adds some real kick! Thanks for posting your corn-free labels and recipes! Love you bunches! Your BFF :-)

Erin said...

Julie! Mustard!!! What a great idea! I will have to try it! BTW, I made your egg free banana bread last week and it was soooooo good!