Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

GFCF Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles

Have you visited the Post Punk Kitchen yet? You really should. It's a lot of fun. Isa Moskowitz turns old favorites into updated veganized versions, like Tempeh Helper. How great is that? I need to try it one of these days. My family can't do soy which sort of defeats the point, but the "cheese" sauce looks interesting. We also can't do gluten, but that didn't stop me from making Isa's Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles. Hello, yum! These turned out fabulously gluten free - soft and chewy with a hint of cayenne kick. I used an egg instead of maple syrup because we can do eggs, and also because I don't like my cookies too sweet. That sort of defeats the point too, I guess. But these are just sweet enough to balance the cayenne. The girls love them, DH loves them, the girls friends love them. Check out Isa's original recipe if you need to be egg free and don't need to avoid gluten. For my un-vegan, gluten-free adaptation, see below.


Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Dry ingredients
1 2/3 cup GF flour blend (I used this one)
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
scant 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Wet ingredients
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 large egg*
3 tbsp. rice milk (or other non-dairy, non-soy milk alternative)
2 tsp. GF vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.

Sift together the topping ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the cayenne. Make a well in the center, set aside. In a separate bowl, beat together the canola oil through the vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until well blended (this is easily done with a fork).

At this point the cookie dough will not be terribly firm - you can refrigerate it if you like, but I never have the patience. If you don't either, then scoop walnut sized balls of dough and drop them into the cinnamon sugar mixture (
The Pampered Chef's cookie scoop is great for this). With your finger get under the sugared dough and flip it to coat the other side, then shape and place onto the prepared baking sheet. If you have an hour or more to kill, refrigerate the dough until firm, then scoop the dough and roll with your hands into walnut-sized balls and roll them in the sugar.

Place cookies two inches apart on the cookie sheet to allow for spreading. Bake 10-12 minutes or until puffy and crackled. Remove from oven and let rest one minute on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool. They are really good warm if you can't wait for them to cool...

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

*If you want to make these cookies gluten free and vegan, try using maple syrup, 1/4 cup applesauce or 1/4 cup banana puree and consider increasing the cayenne to a full 1/4 teaspoon.

For a gluten free vegan double chocolate cookie recipe, check out this recipe here.

4 comments:

GFCF Mommy Octopus said...

Holy Heck, Momma!

Those look stinkin' good. I spent most of this weekend going over your recipes and made a few of them and have never been disappointed. Thank you for all that you do and share with the rest of us. Have you considered a cookbook? I'm serioius, yo.

GFCF MOMMY OCTOPUS

Erin said...

Mommy Octopus, you are too funny. But yo, I'm so broke...a cookbook will have to wait. :) Thanks for your comment, it's good to hear from you!

goodfountain said...

I knew I was going to like these because you said they're not too sweet and I'm the same way as you -I don't like my cookies too sweet.

Just made them -sooooo good! Excellent. I used a different flour blend than what you did and they are great!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Erin said...

Thanks for the comment, GF. I'm glad you like the cookies!