Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

GFCF Frosted Pumpkin Bars

These frosted pumpkin bars are good - almost like a cake. I've modified the original recipe (from Penzey's Spices). The maple frosting also goes well with Banana Cupcakes.

2 cups GF flour blend
2 tbsp. flax seed meal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
scant 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15 oz. can solid packed pumpkin)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.

Sift together the flour through the nutmeg, set aside. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs through the pumpkin. Gradually add the dry ingredients and blend well. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack and frost with Maple Frosting.

Maple Frosting
1/4 cup palm shortenting
3 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. rice milk
2 cups powdered sugar, plus more as needed

Beat together the shortening and maple syrup. Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add the rice milk and beat. Add additional powdered sugar until frosting consistency is reached.

Try pumpkin bars with orange glaze (powdered sugar and orange juice) for a change of pace.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi there--I haven't tried the pumpkin bars, but I tried your graham cracker recepie and....my son ate them!!! I've tried several with no luck, so THANKS! We are in the process of going off corn as well as GFCF, so always looking for new stuff.
Thanks again!

Erin said...

Hi Jenny, thanks for your comment! Boy I know how it is to be corn free - I am, not my kids - so I know how "interesting" it is. Good luck!

nmlove said...

This is SO good, thank you! My husband loved it and I think it really eased his mind about going gluten-free (my son just diagnosed with celiac disease this week). The kids devoured it, begging for more!

Erin said...

Thanks nmlove, I'm glad it was a hit!

Carolyn said...

This was so YUMMO! The cake was soooo moist. This is definitely a keeper. My son is always excited when I make things for him like muffins and cakes. The maple syrup was a great topping but the cake is just as good without it. I made the frosting with shortening and then regretted it when I put the bowl in the dishwasher. (FYI-everything ended up coated with a spot of smeared fat from the shortening.)

Erin said...

Hi Carolyn, I'm so glad you liked it! I know what you mean about the shortening, I always rinse and wipe the shortening off before putting in the dishwasher...seems like a lot of work but it's worth it to not have that coating all over everything!

Andrea said...

Erin,

Some time ago, we shared notes about corn free powdered sugar for frostings, etc. Have you found an alternative or made one up? If not, I just purchased Enjoy Life's Cookies for Everyone Cookbook.

Pg. 43 says to use 1 Tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot starch to 1 cup superfine sugar. Put it in a blender and grind until you have a very soft, fine powder. The finer the better. If making in a coffee grinder, make in small batches. Larger batches for regular size blender.

Andrea l.

Erin said...

Hi Andrea,
a friend made some powdered sugar for me in her Vitamix. I think she used the tapioca ratio you describe. It turned out pretty good, slightly gritty. I will try it with a coffee grinder to see if I get finer results. A regular blender did not work as well for me. Thanks for your comment - I'm going to look up Enjoy Life's cookbook right now!