Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Pear Cardamom Coffee Cake

Wow, I've been busy. It's been a week since I've posted a recipe and longer than that since I promised some pear recipes. Well here's one, at least. This particular recipe has been my very favorite pear cake recipe for several years. It's one of those awesome, treasured recipes I found at a local orchard. I just love making recipes that come from small family businesses, like I love buying those slim, small country store recipe books. There's something about them that screams "home" to me. Or maybe I'm just a random recipe pack rat. Hmmm.


Anyway, this recipe converted to GFCF really well - so well that it doesn't last long after coming out of the oven. I love making this coffee cake for friends because the bundt shape is so pretty, I've made it for showers and homecomings several times in the past. I was worried about making this bundt cake GFCF and having the sides stick to the pan and everything falling apart into crumbs. So I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned the bundt pan upside down to release the cake - it fell right out! I didn't have to knock on the pan to loosen the cake, I didn't have to shake it, and absolutely nothing stuck! It turned out beautiful and tasted awesome. It's these little things in life that make me happy. Like little country store cookbooks - my little slice of home away from home.

2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
6 oz dairy free vanilla yogurt (such as So Delicious Coconut)

1 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)
1/2 cup nut meal
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. cardamom mixed with 1/4 cup sugar
3 soft ripe pears, such as Bartlett, peeled, cored and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan with palm shortening and coat with the flour blend you are using for the cake, tapping out the excess flour. Don't be tempted to take a shortcut and use cooking spray, which will only make the flour clump together and get soggy. Use shortening for this, spreading thinly all over the inside of the bundt pan with a small piece of paper towel, making sure to get all the crevices. Set aside.

Beat together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, canola oil and yogurt until blended. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour through the xanthan gum. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until blended.

Toss the diced pears with the cardamom sugar. Gently fold the pears into the cake batter. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 - 15 minutes. Place a plate on top of the cake pan and turn the cake upside down onto the plate. It should release nicely - if it does not, tap on the pan with the back of a butter knife until the cake falls from the pan onto the plate. Cool completely before slicing.

3 comments:

goodfountain said...

I am not an consumer of fresh pears. Canned pears I like (love actually), but I don't have a lot of experience with the fresh. Part of it is that I'm not sure now to tell if a pear is ripe, which ones taste best. And this being pear season they are so in abundance.

Last week at the store Charlotte wanted me to buy some and I was lost. When I cut into them at home, neither girl liked them. But both love canned pears too.

I need a Fresh Pear 101 course.

Your cake looks great, by the way!

Erin said...

Hi GF!
If you wanted to try this particular recipe, I think canned pears would work fine - just pat them dry and dice them.

I like fresh pears but I have my favorites. I don't care for Bartlett unless I'm baking with them - they tend to be a bit grainy. I like Bosc pears a lot, they are crisp like an apple. And red pears (D'Anjou) are good too for either eating or baking with...not grainy, not too crisp, not too soft.

As far as how to tell when a pear is ripe? Turn it over and sniff it. If it smells good, it will taste good. If it does not smell like pear then it's not ripe yet.

How's that for Fresh Pear 101?

I used to love canned pears with cottage cheese. :)

goodfountain said...

Excellent Fresh Pear 101!

I'm going to use the sniff test and try again.