Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, October 12, 2009

GFCF Spiced Pear Crisp


Originally I wanted to turn this into a pie, but it was late in the day, the pears needed to be used right away and I didn't have the time to make a pie crust. And really, a crisp is just a pie without the crust. It only took about 15 minutes to throw together and it turned out great (so good in fact that the kids didn't get any of it because DH attacked it). I'm actually glad I didn't have time to play with a pie crust because it gave me the opportunity to play with a crisp topping that is free of everything Samuel is allergic to or might be allergic to! This one is for you, Samuel - I hope you like it.

Filling
6 - 8 ripe pears
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. white sugar
1 tbsp. tapioca starch
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground allspice

Topping
4 tbsp. amaranth flour
4 tbsp. tapioca starch
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. coconut oil, divided *
4 tbsp. whole grain buckwheat hot cereal

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease one 8x8 inch baking dish, set aside.

Peel, core and slice the pears thickly. Toss with lemon juice. Combine the sugar through the allspice and toss with the pears until evenly distributed. Place into the prepared baking dish. Set aside while you prepare the topping.

Combine the amaranth through the cinnamon. Cut in 2 tbsp. coconut oil with the tines of a fork until the mixture resembles fine meal. Add the buckwheat hot cereal and toss to combine. Sprinkle topping evenly over top of the pears. Drizzle 1 tbsp. coconut oil over top. Bake about 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving warm. Cold leftovers are also good for breakfast!

*If you are allergic to coconut, substitute dairy-free, soy-free margarine instead.


You can substitute apples for the pears, if you like! Thanks to Julie for the pretty picture!

7 comments:

nmlove said...

I'm so glad I stumbled onto your blog! I'm recently casein free because my 3 month old exclusively breastfed baby is sensitive (as well as to other foods too). And truthfully, I've felt so much better without it. We're also facing a celiacs diagnosis in my oldest (he's four). So I can't wait to try some of the recipes you've been posting. Thanks so much!

Erin said...

You're welcome, and thanks for your comment. Once you get the hang of gluten free (and casein free), it's not that bad, so take heart! :)

Sara said...

Erin,
Where do you buy your flours? We're just starting and I couldn't find them at Trader Joe's or any of my normal grocery stores. Do you know if Whole Foods would have them? Thanks for your blog. The pancakes are right up my daughter's alley...I hope she likes them.

Erin said...

Hi Sara,
I usually buy my flours at Whole Foods, although Sunflower/Newflower Markets also carries them, as does Hannaford, Kroger and Albertsons. You can buy them from Amazon too, or places like http://www.glutenfreemall.com/. Does that help???
erin

Sara said...

Thanks Erin. Another quick question...I found a bunch of the flours at our local health food store, but not at Whole foods. Is Tapioca starch the same as tapioca flour? This going to bust our budget in a major way! I will have to look at glutenfreemall.com

Erin said...

Hi Sara, I'm surprised your Whole Foods does not carry these flour! You can definitely ask them to carry them for you, or special order them for you, and they will do that. Tapioca starch is indeed the same thing as tapioca flour.

Tell me about the budget thing...I know...we spend so much on food it's crazy. But I look at it as therapy...we can either spend money on a diet that keeps us healthy, or we go to the doctor all the time because we are sick...I view the diet as therapy. A necessity. I think it will prevent more expensive health problems down the road. That is what keeps me from freaking out about the cost. That, and imagining my girls on a typical diet...oh my word, no thanks...the health problems, the behavior problems, the brain fog...no thanks. I'll take the special diet!

Julie Tupper said...

Made Apple Crisp tonight to go with Lasagne [with all sorts of changes, of course]. It is in the oven and I can't wait to try it! Smells sooooooo fabulous! Thanks for thinking of us/me/Samuel! Love you! --J