Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, November 13, 2009

GFCF Applesauce Spice Cake

This is another adaptation from Better Homes and Gardens. I find myself going back to their cookbooks again and again. Of all cake recipes, this one is my favorite. I recently made this for (non-GFCF) friends and they loved it too.


2 cups All Purpose GF flour blend
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 cup palm shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
1/4 cup rice milk
1 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9 inch baking pan or two 8 inch cake pans lined with parchment paper, with cooking spray. Set aside.

Sift together the flour through the ginger, set aside. Combine the rice milk and applesauce, set aside.

In a large bowl beat shortening and sugar until well combined. Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and applesauce mixture alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan or muffin tins.

Bake cake about 30 minutes if using 8 inch pans, 40 minutes if using 9x13 inch dish, or cupcakes about 15 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 8 inch cakes 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with Mock Buttercream Frosting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin! This cake looks wonderful! What flour blend do you use? Do you usually use the same flour blends for all of the cakes you make? I am still experimenting - have had some success, but have also had some dismal failures! Thanks for the post! Ina

Erin said...

Hi Ina! I usually use half all purpose rice and half all purpose sorghum...sometimes I use the all purpose sorghum/millet...it's all good as long as there is no chickpea flour in it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!

When you say you use 1/2 all purpose rice and half all purpose sorghum, do you mean half of each blend? Or half rice flour, 1/2 sorghum flour....I am assuming you mean 1/2 of each blend. Sorry,I got a little confused on the wording and am wanting to make this cake on Sun for my son, I want it to be perfect!
Thanks for all the recipes! You are a life saver!
Jessica

Erin said...

Hi Jessica,
I do mean 1/2 rice blend and 1/2 sorghum blend. You can use all one blend if you like, I just like the way the half rice half sorghum blends work in this cake. Sorry for the confusion! I'll fix it in the recipe...

Anonymous said...

I made this cake and it was INCREDIBLE! No one knew it was GFCF...we literally just started the diet last week for my 5 yr old son with Aspergers and this recipe gave me hope that we CAN get through this transition. There is good tasting food to be had! He had 2 pieces!! Thanks soooo much for all the hardwork you out into making these recipes perfect for these special kids!
Jessica

Foxy Momma said...

I was just wondering where your recipe for mock buttercream frosting went? I am considering giving this cake a try (I'm on the hunt for the perfect birthday cake for my son's 3rd bday in 2 months) and have made icing before but it's never tasted quite how I want so just curious how you make it. Thanks :)

Erin said...

Hi Foxy Momma, sorry about that. I took it down to edit it and then I forgot to re-post it. It's back up now.