Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, November 23, 2009

GFCF Brown Sugar Butternut Pie

I have been a fan of this Cooking Light recipe for 10 years. Wow, I can't believe it's been that long! I fell in love with this silky squash pie before Anna was born...while DH was in grad school and I was working, and we had time and money to spend on dinner parties and hosting family for holiday meals. Having kids sure does change a lot, as does the discovery of food allergies and sensitivities. Yet even after adapting this recipe to be GFCF friendly, it remains one of my favorite pies.

Circumstances may have changed, but the memories this pie and many other favorite recipes invoke remain the same. I find myself returning to thoughts of family and friends, of laughter and love, recipe after recipe. Pie after pie. What I do in the kitchen is a labor of love in more ways than one. Not only do I meet the needs of my family, I'm creating memories for my children. I'm linking them to my past while building traditions they can take into their future. So that someday when they are far from home, family and memories are just a recipe away.

You can find Cooking Light's original recipe here.

Brown Sugar Butternut Pie
pie pastry for one-crust pie
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 3 cups cubed)
3/4 cup lite coconut milk
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a pie plate with the pie pastry. Trim the edges and flute as desired. Set aside.

Steam the squash in a double boiler until soft, about 10 minutes. Place squash in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. You want this to be thick so avoid adding extra water. You should have about1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups of squash puree.

In a large bowl combine the pureed squash through the eggs, beating until well-combined. Pour squash mixture into the pastry lined pie plate. Place the pie in the oven and bake until the filling is set (sides are puffy but not cracked), about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, wonderful post!
How true, especially around the holidays, that food - preparation and consumption - brings to mind family and friends straight back to the heart. Such a great gift to give the girls. A tradition of women passed down to each generation.
You'll be in my heart this holiday, too-especially linked to the apple pie!
Love you all, love you much. Mom

Erin said...

Thanks, Anonymom. :) Much love to you, too!