Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, November 16, 2009

Grain-Free Meatballs with Red Wine Gravy

As I was looking for a meatball and gravy recipe the other day, I ran across a recipe for Braised Meatballs in Red-Wine Gravy at Epicurious. Originally I envisioned making something like Swedish Meatballs but decided this recipe looked better. I ended up trying it three ways - one with a white wine/mustard gravy served over turkey meatballs, one with the original red wine/tomato paste gravy and one with a red wine/mustard gravy over beef meatballs. I really did not care for the red wine with tomato paste at all. But both red and white wine gravies turned out great with dijon mustard replacing the tomato paste. The girls liked the meatballs without gravy, which is fine - DH and I got it all to ourselves!

I did muck around a lot with the original recipe, using it more of a guide than anything else. But it was good inspiration. I nixed the breadcrumbs in favor of potato flour as I'm trying to reduce the grains in my diet, but I think almond flour would work well too. You can find the original here at Epicurious.

Consider serving over top of Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Puree - this was really yummy!

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 tbsp. potato flour (or 3- 4 tbsp. almond flour)
2 large eggs
1 small diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram

1 cup red wine
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with a little olive oil, set aside.

Combine the ground beef through the marjoram, mixing well. Scoop heaping teaspoons and form into meatballs (I got about 24). Place on baking sheet and bake about 30 minutes or until cooked through.

While the meatballs are baking, whisk the wine through the mustard in a small saucepan. Heat slowly without simmering. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the meatballs to a serving plate. Add the red wine gravy to the baking sheet and deglaze. Pour gravy back into the small saucepan and bring to a simmer, reducing to thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Pour gravy over meatballs and sprinkle with a little parsley. Serve hot.

No comments: