Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

GFCF Pear Bread

This was originally a Penzey's recipe for Apple Bread. I tried it two different ways - one with pears and one with apples and some applesauce to replace half the oil. Our favorite was the one with the pears. If you'd like to use apples instead, grate 2 apples in place of the pears and nix the cinnamon sugar. If you'd like to lower the fat content, replace half the canola oil with 1/4 cup applesauce. The bread comes out fabulously moist either way.

(...made with pears...)


(...made with grated apples.)

2 pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 tbsp. cinnamon sugar
1 1/2 cups All Purpose GF flour blend

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 beaten eggs

1/2 cup canola oil

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.


In a small bowl, toss the diced pears with the cinnamon sugar. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour through the xanthan gum. Set aside.


In a large bowl, beat together the eggs through the vanilla. Add the sugar and beat well. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in the pear mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let rest in pan 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

12 comments:

goodfountain said...

Okay this is a bread I *might* be able to get Charlotte to eat. she didn't want the carrot bread and she doesn't like bananas anyway so no surprise on not wanting banana bread. BUT she *loves* pears and apples. And if I call it cake - or maybe make muffins instead (and call them cupcakes)- she might give it a go. It would be so nice to have something besides boring rice cake for breakfast every day! you know she's eventually going to burn out on those...

I'll report back!

Penny said...

I bought pears today so I can try this. I wonder if pear sauce works like applesauce in recipes? I have pear sauce from Trader Joe's in the pantry.

Penny said...

I have it in the oven -- in a square cake pan instead of a loaf pan. I'm calling it cake, too. Going to dust it w/ some powdered sugar and see if the kids will eat it!

Erin said...

Hi Penny,
yes, you can use pear sauce like applesauce in recipes. Your pear cake sounds yummy, I hope it turns out well for you!
erin

Penny said...

It's YUMMY. !!!!!!!! I could eat the whole thing. Warm, it would be divine w/ ice cream. Oh my.

And, my gluten free casein free +++ girl DOESN'T like it. I will try again today, though, to get her to eat a crumb or two.

Penny said...

Here's mine:

http://notnewtoautism.blogspot.com/2009/11/gfcf-pear-bread.html

THANKS, ERIN, SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE! :)

Penny

goodfountain said...

Made the apple version as muffins and they are great!! Even CHARLOTTE is eating them. Wheeee!!

nmlove said...

I'm sure this is great. I'm having a problem though and maybe you can help. (New to gf baking.) I poke it with a toothpick, it comes out clean but then it starts to get all gummy inside on cooling down. Am I missing something? I've been sure to follow recipes to a "T" until I get comfortable but this is driving me nuts! (It's happened on a few other things too.) Thanks for any input!

Erin said...

Hi nmlove,
what flour blend are you using? Are you replacing eggs, is it humid where you are, what altitude are you at, are you baking long enough (try baking 5 minutes longer?), are you taking the bread out of the pan after 10 minutes of cooling in the pan or do you leave it longer?

Let me know about those things, and I will tell you now that when it's very rainy or humid I have a hard time with baked goods. Also if the starch ratio in the flour blend is too high, or if the blend has too much millet or there is chickpea flour in some baked goods, those things can be problematic too.

Also, make sure you are using potato starch instead of potato flour in your flour blends - they are completely different. Potato flour makes things heavy and gummy and is used only occasionally.

That's what I can think of right now...let me know!
erin

nmlove said...

Mix currently trying: Rice flour, corn starch, tapioca dextrin, and xanthan gum. Just saw the xanthan gum. Maybe I should have omitted? Though I still get some gumminess with cornbread recipe I use.

Humidity - not today. Live in OH so humdidity can definitely be an issue. No high altitudes. Not replacing eggs. Taking it out of the pan at 10 minutes. Will try to bake longer though it seems the top gets pretty brown.

Thanks for your help! I have two young boys just diagnosed with celiac and you can imagine how much I'll be making as they get older! I need to work out the kinks now while they're eating smaller portions. :) And I can't have dairy/soy because of breastfed daughter. Trying to make something we can all eat.

Erin said...

Okay, what is the name of the flour blend you bought? You did buy it? Having xanthan gum in the mix and adding xanthan gum to the recipe will be problematic...it does not take much, and the product will get gummy. Have you tried making your own flour blend? Not only is it cheaper, you have greater control over the end result of your baked goods. It's really not hard. Check out the GF Flour Blend label to the right of the page. Please feel free to email me (leave a comment with your email address, I won't publish it but I will email you).
erin

Erin said...

Also, the tapioca dextrin as well as the xanthan gum may be a problem. It can act as a gelling agent. I would recommend making your own flour blend(s), I think you will have better results. I promise it's not hard, it takes less than 10 minutes to whip up 6 cups of flour blend that you can keep in the fridge and use throughout the week...