Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, December 11, 2009

GFCF Chocolate Graham Crackers


A friend requested a little while ago that I make her son a batch of graham crackers he could take with him on a Boy Scout camping trip, so he could enjoy s'mores around the campfire with the rest of his group. I decided to make them chocolate - a little extra special. I'm sure he must have been thinking "my graham crackers are better than yours!" at the campfire. I certainly think so! I love the way the crumb looks just like "regular" graham crackers, and I like the way they taste - not too sweet and not too decadent.


To make these, I tweaked the graham cracker recipe I already have posted here. Another special thanks to In the Life of a Child for sharing the original recipe! I advise against chilling the dough, which makes it difficult to roll out to an even thickness. Set aside enough time to make the dough, roll it out, cut it and bake it - it's worth it.

1/3 cup palm shortening
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rice milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper, set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add the vanilla and mix well.

Sift together the chickpea flour through the salt. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture one cup at a time, blending well until all three cups have been incorporated and mixture looks like fine meal (I did this in my Kitchen Aid but you could also do this with a food processor).

Add the rice milk or coconut milk a little at a time (in a small stream if using a Kitchen Aid or food processor and your hands are free). You might not need the whole 1/2 cup of liquid. Add just enough until the dough clumps together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should resemble cookie dough. It should not be very sticky.

Divide dough into thirds. Working with 1/3 of the dough at a time, knead a few times on floured wax paper (I used All Purpose Sorghum Blend for flouring). Roll dough into the shape of a rectangle to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Trim the edges to straighten. Cut the dough into squares with a knife or have fun using cookie cutters to make shapes. Using a floured spatula, transfer crackers to the prepared baking sheet.

Prick each cracker 4-6 times with the tines of a fork. Brush tops with a little rice milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake about 30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and the crackers are set. Remove crackers to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cooled crackers in an airtight container.

*If you overbake some crackers, don't worry - save them and use them to make a graham cracker pie crust.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These chocolate graham crackers were completely PERFECT and absolutely addicting! The crackers almost didn't make it on the camping trip because the Mom (NOT GFCF!) tasted them and wanted them for herself! (that would be ME!)

Erin is a GFCF GODDESS, and we're mighty grateful to know her!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, you make me blush! I didn't tell you I added some cayenne to your batch, and you still liked them! Ha! :)

EmyVivi said...

they look so good! can I replace the palm shortening with dairy free butter spread? or vegetable shortening? or somenthing else.. I cant find the palm shortening!
Thank you! I know my daughters are going to love this crackers!!

Erin said...

Hi EmyVivi, although I have not tired it, I think the dairy free margarine would work fine. If soy is not a problem for you, vegetable shortening would be fine too!

EmyVivi said...

Thank you Erin!