Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pumpkin Butter

I love fruit butters - apple, pear, cherry, you name it. I love pumpkin butter too. Although pumpkin is a vegetable, it makes a great jammy spread for everything from toast to pancakes...it's even good eaten plain with a spoon. I imagine it would be good warmed and used as a topping for ice cream, too. I've tried many different pumpkin butter recipes, and this one is my favorite.

Pumpkin butter on Applesauce Spice Bread

2 cups pureed pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
3 tbsp. lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan (I like using Le Creuset). Simmer very slowly for a few hours, uncovered, until the mixture has reduced to a thick spread. Cool before storing in the refrigerator for up to a week. Freeze leftovers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin! Have a loaf of bread in the breadmaker right now...used my standby recipe but used 3 tsp. Guar Gum. I will let you know how it turns out. But just did some online research, and I did read that guar gum can inhibit yeast development...and is better suited in cakes? Will keep you posted on the outcome, cheers, Ina

Erin said...

Thanks Ina! I'm not surprised that guar gum might inhibit yeast development - this certainly seemed to happen with my breads. Thanks for joining me in the experiment!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin - well, my bread is looking similar to yours. Each slice I cut the sides seem to break, the crust is definately harder, but the flavor and texture otherwise is good. It is more crumbly, will see how it is tomorrow after being in a plastic wrapped bag today. I'm thinking perhaps using less guar gum? If you have any further success would love to know what worked. Ina

Erin said...

Hi Ina,
I'm glad I'm not the only one having these results! The flavor and smell of the bread is good. The texture is way off. It's more crumbly, and after a couple of days, even more so. It's not like that with xanthan gum. I tried less guar gum and the bread exploded into itty bits everywhere. I tried more guar gum but even though it helped a little, it wasn't great. I think if I had to, I'd bake the bread with guar gum in the morning and use it in the evening, possibly the next day, but beyond that it's no good. Definitely not like the success I've had with the xanthan gum.

I SO appreciate you trying this out! DH says we have a little scientific experiment going on here! :)
erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin! When I have some time, I will do some further research on Guar Gum - and how to make a good bread with it. Will keep you posted if I come up with any more info. Good luck at your end! Ina

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina! That's great! Good luck to you too. :)