Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Vegan Quinoa "Risotto"

I love everything about quinoa. I love its taste, texture and endless possibility. And now, I love it as "risotto". Here I've combined red with plain quinoa for texture but using all plain quinoa would make it creamier. To the quinoa I added the simple, everyday sauteed vegetables I had on hand but other vegetables would also work. To give the quinoa that extra creamy quality associated with traditional risotto, I added a cider dressing at the end. DH and I like the way this turned out. We had it plain for lunch but it'd be nice accompanied by a green salad, too.



2/3 cup plain quinoa
1/3 cup red quinoa (or plain, if desired)
2 cups vegetable broth
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup Cider Vinaigrette, plus more as needed
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
fresh chopped parsley and chopped walnuts to serve, if desired

Combine quinoa, 1 tbsp. olive oil and vegetable broth in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 18 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Turn the heat off and leave the quinoa sit, covered, another five minutes.

While the quinoa is cooking, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet. Cook the onion, celery and red pepper over medium-low heat until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, cook two minutes more.

Add the parsley and cooked vegetables to the quinoa and stir to combine. Add 1/3 cup of the cider vinaigrette, stirring until creamy, adding more vinaigrette as desired. Add the quartered tomatoes and toss. Serve with fresh parsley and chopped walnuts sprinkled on top, if desired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, yum! I am a devoted convert to quinoa since you introduced it to me. I can't wait to try this; I'm salivating just thinking about it. I haven't see the red - does Bob's Red Mill offer it?
(AT&T stopped in this morning and I AM BACK!) I'm thrilled. :)
Anonymom

Erin said...

Hi Anonymom! So happy you are back online! :) I can find the red quinoa in the bulk section of the local health food store. I think Ancient Harvest sells it in little boxes, too, where you'd find the rice and pasta and stuff. But if you can't find it, regular quinoa would do. :)