Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

GFCF Sweet Potato Biscuits

I've been trying to make good sweet potato biscuits for almost two years. I have this one great recipe for them that has not converted well - my gf/cf versions always turned out dense and heavy. But today I found myself with 6 pounds of sweet potatoes and a hankering for biscuits, so I tried again using this Food Network recipe as my guide. And I'm excited to report that my biscuits turned out great! They are light and fluffy inside and they taste really good. These biscuits don't rise too much, but they are light and not dense in the least. And the crumb is really pretty, I think!


1 1/3 cups GF flour blend
2 tsp. sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum (I used 1 1/2 tsp. guar gum to keep them corn-free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup dairy free, soy free margarine or shortening
3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
¼ cup rice milk, plus more for brushing biscuits

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour through the pepper. Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Place the mashed sweet potato in a liquid measuring cup, pressing down slightly to make sure they reach the ¾ cup mark. Add the rice milk and stir. The liquid ingredients should measure 1 cup. Add a little more rice milk if needed to equal 1 cup. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture. Blend with a fork to make a soft dough – it should not be sticky or dry.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead three times until the dough looks smooth. Pat the dough out to approximately a 5x5 inch square, 1/2-inch thick. With a sharp knife cut the square into 9 equal pieces. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with a little rice milk. Bake about 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for a minute on a wire rack before serving warm.

No comments: