Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Gelatin Egg Substitute

I love my readers. They give me such great tips! This egg substitute recipe comes from Heather. She uses it in everything. So far I've only used it in sandwich bread, and it's been working great. Thanks, Heather! Keep in mind that gelatin is not vegan. For a vegan egg substitute, try Ener-G Egg Replacer.

1 packet Knox gelatin
1 cup boiling water
Stir gelatin into water until dissolved. Let cool to room temperature before using.

3 tbsp. gelatin mixture = 1 egg.

Store leftovers in the fridge. To use again, reheat in the microwave about 30 seconds or on the stove over low heat until it has turned back to liquid.


7 comments:

Choupichen said...

Post Scriptum: I didn't have time to take a picture of my bread before it got eaten up, would it be ok to post your picture on my blog, with all due credit, of course?
Thanks!

Erin said...

Hi Choupichen,
I'm glad your bread turned out great. Yes it would be okay for you to post my picture on your blog with credit and a link back to my recipe - thank you for asking!

Julie Tupper said...

Here goes! My first try with this "weird" [but, really what IS the standard for weird at this point?? Hahaha!] subsitute. I feel like a chemistry student in the kitchen half the time!

Also, did you check out the side of the box...I am going to try the fruit juice gelatin! Woo hoo! Sounds yummy!

Jason Poll said...

From a vegan standpoint, isn't gelatin off-limits considering that it's made from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones?

Erin said...

Hi Jason,
Yes, I did mention that gelatin is not vegan, and that vegans should consider Ener-G Egg Replacer or something different. You are right, gelatin is made from animal bones. It's supposedly good for you, and there are ways to get as much gelatin as possible from the bones in homemade broths. However, we are not vegan, I only bake vegan! Come to think of it, honey is not vegan either...oh well, good thing this is not a vegan blog.

Jason Poll said...

Total face-palm on my part...That's what I get for not reading thoroughly. :)

Erin said...

No problemo. Happens to me all the time. :)