Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gluten Free, Vegan Apple Scones

While DH was in grad school I met a lot of interesting people from all over the country and all over the world. One friend I made was from Croatia. Everything she made was delicious - anything I could do, she could do 10 times better. So it was always a pleasure to get together with her and watch her cook and bake. One day she served currant scones that were the best I ever had - they were small and round with currants, and they were awesomely dry inside. These were the kind of scones you have with tea. I loved them for that and have since tried to make a scone that comes close to hers.

There are many scone recipes that call for eggs and lots of liquid and I never end up liking the result as they turn out more like muffins than anything else. I've only found and tried one that ends up producing nice dry scones, it's been my favorite scone recipe for years. Today as I was baking for Megan, I was loving that it was originally egg-free and I only had to make it gluten and casein free too. The less I have to reinvent the wheel, the better! Not that I mind so much, but it just makes life easier when I'm trying to feed a hungry family.


These scones go great with a cup of tea or a glass of milk for the kids. They are best warm and will keep on the counter for a day. After a day, store in the fridge or freezer and reheat until warm in the microwave or the oven before serving.

2 cups GF flour blend (I like this one)
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. palm shortening
1/2 cup grated apple
4 tbsp. apple juice

Topping
hazelnut, almond or rice milk
cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Sift together the flour through the salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter until mix resembles coarse meal. Add grated apples and toss to coat. Add the apple juice and stir with a fork to make a stiff dough - dough should not be too wet.


Turn dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead dough two or three times, until it comes together.


With floured hands, pat dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges.


Transfer wedges with a flat, thin spatula to the prepared baking sheet - this is easy to do as the dough is firm and not sticky.


Brush each scone with hazelnut milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 10 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove scones to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 scones.

See the nice dry crumb? Yum.

No comments: