Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cooked Millet


I love cooking millet. Technically millet is a seed, not a grain, although it's used like a grain. It's a good source of fiber and magnesium (for millet's nutritional profile, go here). I like making plain cooked millet quite a bit - it's a nice change from rice and it cooks faster, too. With some sauteed vegetables, it would make a nice pilaf. But I usually serve it with something saucy like a curry.
Plain cooked millet can be very versatile and substituted in a number of recipes that call for rice instead.

I like toasting millet before boiling it, both because I like the nutty flavor that toasting imparts and I prefer a crunchier texture to a creamy one. I make millet in a cast iron skillet, which gives it a nice crusty bottom. It's reminiscent of the rice crust on the bottom of a Korean Stone Pot (Bibimbat) - personally, I think the crunchy part is the best.

1/2 cup millet
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. salt

Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the millet and toast, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the water and the salt. Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. With a wooden spoon, stir the millet to get up all the nice crusty bits off the bottom of the skillet. Fluff with a fork before serving.

2 comments:

goodfountain said...

I love bibimbat!!

I have been in such a cooking rut lately. Tired of the boring repertoire these girls will eat. and then I end up eating the same boring thing they eat. Rut rut rut!!

This looks good though and I'd like to give it try - to inspire me out of my rut!!

Erin said...

It gets better as they get older...my kids eat a more varied diet than they did last year. Hang in there! I'm in my own rut..salad after salad after salad...