Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

GFCF Pumpkin Orange Bread


Happy New Year! I'm clearing out my stack of recipes left from autumn and early winter. This recipe, originally by Cooking Light, is one of them. It's one of our favorites - it can be enjoyed from fall until late winter. You can find the original recipe here.

Dry ingredients
2 cups GF flour blend
2 tbsp. flax seed meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Wet ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup rice milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp. grated orange peel
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the cloves. Make a well in the center, set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar through the egg, beating until well-blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool in pan 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

GFCF Mommy Octopus said...

Erin!

Holy crud, chica! It's been months since I have truly sat down to peruse your blog and you have done a kick-butt job of posting awesome drool-worthy recipes. I am hungry just staring at the screen. I'm excited to try some of your recipes. I wish I would cook more often like you. I just don't have the stamina. Sigh.

GFCF MOMMY OCTOPUS

Erin said...

Thanks, chica! It's good to hear from you. Don't fret about cooking...sometimes I don't have much stamina either, and I'm sure as heck not as busy as you are! :)

VinageWine said...

I would love to try this bread, but I am allergic to eggs. Is there a way to adapt this recipe without eggs?

Thanks!

VintageWine

Erin said...

Hi VintageWine,

we have just recently gone egg-free so, I'm not sure about this bread yet. I need to make it again sans egg to see what happens. You can try EnerG Egg Replacer. I choose not to use Egg Replacer so I would play with flax meal or gelatin or leavening. I am a huge lover of all things pumpkin, and since it's that time of the year I will tackle egg-free pumpkin bread or muffins soon. If you need pumpkin bread right away, however, see this recipe:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/10/pumpkin-pie-bread.html