Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Oven Baked GFCF Egg-Free Bread

Well, I have been hard at work for over a week trying to make a loaf of egg-free bread to my liking. When I wonder why I've been beating myself up over this (other than being a glutton for punishment), all I need to do is to look at Megan's hands. She's been completely egg-free for over a week and the eczema on her hands has completely resolved. Instead of being cracked, red and raw, her skin is soft and smooth. That's all the reason I really need, but it also helps to hear the girls say "Mom, this is good bread! Can I have more?". It also helps that DH is a good sport. He's okay with me making only egg-free bread for the whole family, because when I'm under the gun and forced to figure it out, that's the only way I'll figure it out. Thanks, dear hubby. You rock.

Although I used Gluten Free Goddess' recipe as a guide, the bread turned out to be very much like my old stand-by bread. Basically everything is the same except for the egg substitute and swapping sugar for honey. I've been using Sorghum and Millet blend and it's been working great. The bread tastes really good and I happen to think it's pretty, too. I'm going to give two different options for baking in either an 8 inch loaf pan (which I prefer because the bread is taller) or a 9 inch loaf pan (which ends up a little flatter but you get more slices out if it). Keep in mind that if you use a glass pan, you'll need to decrease the oven temperature by 25 degrees to keep the bread from sticking to the pan (thanks for that tip, Mom!).

So far I've only done this bread in the oven. It's very easy and does not take long at all. I've been using a gelatin egg substitute, which I really like but which is not vegan. For instructions on how to make GF vegan bread in the bread machine, see this recipe here. Happy baking!

For an 8 inch loaf pan:
2 1/2 cups GF flour blend (such as Sorghum and Millet)
2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. rapid rise yeast
1 tsp. salt

1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
6 tbsp. gelatin liquid
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
2 tbsp. honey

For a 9 inch loaf pan:
3 cups GF flour blend
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. rapid rise yeast

1 1/4 cups warm water
6 tbsp. gelatin liquid
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
3 tbsp. honey

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease a loaf pan with palm shortening, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the yeast. In a medium bowl, combine the water through the honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as necessary, about 3 minutes.

Scrape the dough into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top with a spatula, doming slightly in the center for a loaf shape. At this point you can sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds on top if you wish. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place to rise. Let rise about 45 minutes or until the dough has risen 1/2 - 1 inch above the top of the loaf pan.

Bake about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

(This loaf is a pretty color - I let it rise a little too long, but it turned out okay in the end.)

Gently turn the bread out onto a wire rack. If desired, return the bread (out of the pan) to the oven and bake another 5 minutes to get it nice and crusty.

Cool bread completely on a wire rack before slicing. Don't be tempted to slice the bread even while it's only very slightly warm, or it will gum up on you. If you want warm bread with margarine, wait until it's cool and then toast a slice or two. You will be glad you waited.

(A 9 inch loaf gives you more slices of bread, but it's a little flatter than an 8 inch loaf.)

(I like an 8 inch loaf - it's taller and I think it looks a little nicer.)

4 comments:

Choupichen said...

Thanks you SO MUCH for your sandwich bread recipe! I had only been using guar gum before, and xanthan really does make a big difference. Really not sure how to get the same results using guar...
I adapted you recipe to make it egg free, as I do not like eggs in my bread. I didn't add any applesauce or gelatin, but I did end up putting in a good 1 2/3 cups liquid. It turned out great! It does crumble noticeably and keeps fine.
Thank you again!

Erin said...

You are welcome! I'm glad your bread turned out well!

Brandy said...

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me with something. I want to make this bread today for my DS. We're not an egg free family and I can't seem to find the gelatin liquid so I was wondering how many eggs I would use if I were to omit the gelatin?

Erin said...

Hi Brandy,
you can replace the gelatin liquid with two beaten eggs. You can follow this recipe here:
http://myaspergersgirl.blogspot.com/2008/02/perfect-sandwich-bread.html
Good luck!
erin