Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Homemade Toasted Sesame Tahini


Yesterday I made homemade tahini for the first time. It never occurred to me that I could make it at home, I just assumed it was too difficult. But when I ran out of tahini and saw a bag of lonely sesame seeds hanging out in my cupboard, I decided to give homemade tahini a try. It's cheaper than store bought and it takes no time at all. I used a blender and clean up was a snap. Using this recipe as a guide, I toasted the sesame seeds before blending them, which gave the end result a toasty, nutty flavor reminiscent of peanut butter. It is excellent in hummus. Next time I will soak the sesame seeds per this recipe here to get a milder flavor for tahini sauce.

one 12 oz bag of sesame seeds, or 1 1/2 cups
1/3 - 2/3 cup canola or olive oil
dash salt


Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread sesame seeds on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 20 minutes or until fragrant, stirring once.

Remove the sesame seeds from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Pour them into a blender. Turn the blender on and slowly add 1/3 cup canola oil and a dash of salt. Depending on how thin you like your tahini, add up to another 1/3 cup canola oil (I like mine thin, so I added the whole 2/3 cup). Blend to a smooth paste. It won't be as smooth as store bought, but it won't be too far off, either. The tahini will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, if it lasts that long.

No comments: