Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

GFCF Lemon Curd (Egg Free)

I don't know what came over me the other week, but suddenly I had a burning desire to make egg-free lemon curd. Megan just had to have some - I envisioned making thumbprint cookies for her and filling them with lemon curd. Mind you, she never mentioned craving lemon curd. But in my head she had to have some, and fast. It probably has to do with me - having conquered gfcf egg free bread to my satisfaction, I had to try converting something else that relies heavily on eggs. Somebody needs to save me from myself. I'm going to go berserk someday.

So anyway, I tried making a vegan lemon curd. I took cues from this recipe
here, more or less. In the end it did not firm up the way I wanted it to, so I added some gelatin, and then it behaved a little better (but it was not vegan). For the record, lemon curd does not work well in thumbprint cookies. But it does work well in ice cream, and both girls really enjoyed that.

This curd is fairly tart. I like it that way, but if you like it sweeter just add a little more sugar. I'm going to post it the way I ended up making it, but it can probably use some tweaking. I know I'll tweak it next time I make it.



3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water

1 cup sugar

pinch salt

2 tsp. lemon zest

3 tbsp. arrowroot starch

3 tbsp. cold water

1/4 cup hazelnut milk or other non-dairy milk

1 tbsp. Earth Balance margarine or other non-dairy margarine

1 1/2 tsp. gelatin


In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the lemon juice, water, sugar and lemon zest. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir together the arrowroot starch and cold water. Add the arrowroot mixture and the hazelnut milk to the saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and add the margarine. Pour into a glass container and cool to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator. The curd should thicken as it cools.


Here is where I didn't like the way the curd looked - even after a day in the fridge, it was not quite thick enough. So I threw it back into a saucepan, heated it and added the gelatin. After cooling again in the fridge for a few hours, the curd had the right consistency - like real lemon curd - not like jello, and not like lemon slurp. Although lemon slurp is what you'll get if you try to fill thumbprint cookies with it. Don't do that. Try it in ice cream instead!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Im just wondering if instead of gelatin could you have used agar?

Erin said...

Yes, agar would work, I just have not tried it yet!