Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, February 22, 2010

GFCF Mayonnaise Crust

So last week I made mayonnaise. It was good, but particularly flavored so I had not used all of it by week's end, and I didn't want to waste it. I happened to flip through The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy and ran across a recipe for Mayonnaise Crust. That looked very exciting, so I gave it a try using this recipe as a guide. It's just like an oil crust, but with mayonnaise.

I've learned to embrace a lot of things (such as a little judicious use of bacon fat!) since learning my little family has food allergies and sensitivities to more things than I care to count. I feel like lately I've been channeling my Grandma and my Nanny and DH's Grandma (may their Irish and German souls rest in peace). Now I'm learning to appreciate mayonnaise. And I gotta tell you, this crust is mighty tasty and really easy to make. The slight tahini flavor of my mayonnaise was dynamite in a quiche crust. It was so good, perfect for a savory dish. Megan of course did not get any quiche, but DH and I enjoyed it!

You can roll this crust out like I did, or press it into the pie plate with your hands. Either way is fine. I used an all purpose sorghum mix for the crust - it was a little delicate, but rips were easily fixed. I would make this crust again in a heartbeat.

1 cup GF flour blend (I used this one)
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Mix the flour blend and the mayonnaise well with a fork. Add a teaspoon of water at a time if the mixture seems too dry. Pour the crust onto a piece of wax paper and knead a couple of times to bring the dough together. Place a piece of wax paper over the top and roll the crust out to 1/2 inch bigger than your pie plate.



Remove the top piece of wax paper. Slide your hand underneath the crust and flip into the pie plate. Carefully remove the wax paper. Fit the crust into the plate by pressing gently with your hands and repair any tears by pressing them together with your fingers. Roll the edges and flute with the tines of a fork.


Alternatively, dump the dough into the pie plate and press with your hands over the bottom and up the sides. Flute the edges with the tines of a fork.



Bake the crust according to whatever recipe you are using. I used a quiche recipe. Enjoy!

(I should have topped this spinach quiche with Daiya cheese for this picture, it would have been prettier. I did top a leftover piece of quiche the next day with a bit of shredded Daiya, placing it under the broiler until the cheese melted - it was really good!)

2 comments:

HEAL ~ BALANCE ~ LIVE said...

This sounds great! I am going to try it with my almond flour crust in a Quiche this week. It is funny that the more we study health and eating well the more we get back to the way people ate generations before us. Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

Thanks! I hope you like it! It is really funny that all the things I used to turn my nose up at (the things my grandmas used) are really working for us now...bacon, chicken fat, mayonnaise...just the other day I had someone ask if we were vegan. I laughed at her. I bake vegan, and that's about it. I try to feed the girls beef and salami whenever I can! Now, if only they'd eat sauerkraut...