Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise (Soy Free)

(This was my first attempt at vegan soy-free mayo. For an even better version - my favorite -, see this recipe HERE! )

Okay, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. I've already heard the grumbles, sorry about that. I've been busy! Busy in general, but also busy trying to concoct palatable egg-free stuff for Megan. It took awhile to get bread down, and next on the list was mayonnaise. In truth, Megan has not been egg free completely because I could not figure out the mayonnaise thing. I've been working hard on it, and have had a little bit of success. I still need to play with different recipes, but this one works for now.

So, the original recipe for this mayonnaise can be found here at Gluten Free Goddess. I tried it over the summer on vacation, making it for Samuel (my BFF's son who is also allergic to eggs). But Samuel is also allergic to sesame seeds so I left out the tahini part of the recipe. Bad idea. It was terrible. It looked like mayonnaise well enough, but it tasted like...rotten fish. I don't know why, but I couldn't salvage it and it went into the garbage. What a terrible waste of good olive oil. But I gave the recipe another try last week and included the tahini (my own homemade). It came out really good, so the tahini is integral. However, it came out brownish and tasted slightly like tahini. That's not bad, just not terribly versatile. It could be the homemade tahini, I may have toasted the sesame seeds a little long. But the mayonnaise was good in savory recipes...chicken salad and quiche crust.

So here is my version of Karina's vegan mayonnaise. I used canola oil, which at the end of the day is just as healthy (and maybe healthier?) than olive oil and which also has a lighter taste. I also added some garlic and some lemon juice. Like I said, this mayo is good for savory dishes but not so much for tuna salad. For that, this one is much better!!

1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1tbsp. tahini
1 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. rice milk
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup canola oil

In a blender, combine the mustard through the garlic. With the blender running on low speed, add the canola oil slowly in a thin stream until the mayonnaise is just creamy and thickened (do not over mix). This will keep about a week in the refrigerator.

No comments: