Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Avocado Mayonnaise

In my continuing hunt for egg-free, soy-free mayonnaise, I ran across an article in Eating Well featuring Rick Bayless and avocados. The article mentioned that avocados are a natural emulsifier, so I ran to the computer and looked up recipes for avocado mayonnaise. Then I ran to the grocery store to pick out the perfect avocado - according to Bayless a perfectly ripe avocado is not green, but pale yellow inside. I managed to find one - not too soft, a ripe avocado should only give slightly when you gently press the top. Then I ran back home to make mayonnaise based on this recipe here.


As you can see, the mayonnaise turned out looking a little bit green and having a slight avocado taste. It's pretty yummy, but like the tahini mayonnaise it has limited versatility. This mayo would be good for salad dressings and dips. The girls liked it in tuna salad - so far that is the only way they will eat avocados, so I'm happy. I think this mayonnaise experience will be like the gluten free experience - each gluten free flour has a different taste and different uses. So far it's looking like I'll have to make different mayos for different recipes. It will keep life interesting, at least. I'm going to try one more mayonnaise featuring marcona almonds, and then I'll be done with mayonnaise!

For this recipe I used canola oil. I'm finding that I just don't like olive oil in my mayonnaise. In the future I'll try experimenting with different oils, like grapeseed and pumpkin seed and avocado and hemp, but for now canola suits me fine.

2 small, ripe hass avocados
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola oil or extra light olive oil

Slice the avocados in half, twist and pull halves apart. Stick a sharp paring knife into the avocado pit and pull it out. I like to peel the skin off avocados but you can also scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Place the avocado flesh, lemon juice and salt into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides. With the processor running, add the canola oil in a thin stream until the mixture is creamy and smooth - do not over mix. This can be stored in the refrigerator but will be best if used within a day. Makes about 1 cup.

3 comments:

HEAL ~ BALANCE ~ LIVE said...

I love that you keep creating....

nmlove said...

An aside on avocados... Today I had some leftover pureed avocado from feeding my little one. I added some fresh salsa (not too chunky, mild), just as a snack for myself with some chips. But my soon to be 5 year old snatched it away from me! He loved it. And he always turns his nose up to guacamole. (He will eat some diced avocados on taco night though.)

Mrs. Ed said...

Yummmm!!!!