Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

GFCF Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies (Vegan)

I am slowly embracing gluten-free vegan baking. Each time I turn out something edible, I feel like doing a little dance. So far I'm able to scaffold off of what others have done, but I'm not yet able to wing it myself. I tried to make my Snickerdoodles egg free and they turned out fairly terrible. I don't know how the kids ate them, but they did. Kudos to them.

Today I made chocolate chip bar cookies. The original recipe can be found here at Gluten Free Goddess. I tweaked a couple of the ingredients and was very happy with the end result. These bar cookies are really yummy. I almost had to beat the kids back with a stick to save a few for DH. Just kidding. But they are really good!

The changes I made to the original recipe are:

used 2 cups GF flour blend
used 1 1/2 tsp. guar gum instead of xanthan gum
added another 1/4 tsp. baking powder
cut back the brown sugar to 1 cup
replaced Egg Replacer with applesauce
used 1/4 cup rice milk instead of 5 - 6 tbsp.
decreased the vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons
added 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
added 1/2 cup walnut meal


I baked the bars in an 8x11 inch baking dish for about 30 minutes, or until the bars got puffy and then fell in the center, leaving raised edges. The bars should feel firm to the touch, not spongy, and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. The bars should be cooled completely before removing from the pan, and they should be cut with a very sharp knife, preferably serrated. Depending on how big you make them, you can get 16 - 20 bars from a pan sized 8x11. Then grab a bar for yourself before you blink and they are all gone!

No comments: