Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

GFCF Egg-Free Sandwich Bread for the Bread Machine


Up until now, I've been baking Megan's egg-free bread in the oven. It's been turning out great and it feels a little quaint, which I like. And I thought - why mess with something that is working? I've also been making two different breads - one for Megan, and one in the bread machine for the rest of the family that has eggs in it. For some odd reason I thought this was easier and cheaper, but it's neither.

Last week Megan's bread ran out and there was only the eggy bread left, and then I got sick. Actually the whole family got sick, everyone but Megan. We were so sick, all we did was sleep and poor Megan was left to fend for herself. It was all I could do to drag myself into the kitchen and make her some toast. Yes, eggy toast. I can't believe I'm admitting that, but it's true. In one day she had 4 slices of eggy toast, and all I could do was think through a sick haze "it's not going to kill her". It didn't, and her eczema seemed to be okay, but that is the last time I do something like that. Now, it's egg-free bread for everyone in the house.

Thankfully everyone likes this new egg-free bread. And thankfully, it turns out great in the bread machine. Actually it turns out better in the bread machine than it does in the oven. I guess that's what I get for being all grandma-ly and shunning the bread machine for no good reason. Oh Breadman Pro, how I love thee. Thou dost make great gluten-free, egg-free bread. Forgive me for ever thinking otherwise!


2 1/2 cups GF flour blend (see guide here - I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour Blend)
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt

5 tbsp. gelatin egg substitute
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

2 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Sift together the flour through the salt, set aside.

Pour the gelatin egg substitute, warm water, oil, honey and vinegar into the bread machine pan. Pour the flour mixture over the water mixture, covering the water mixture completely. Add the yeast on top of the flour. Set the bread machine to the gluten-free setting, medium crust. Help the mixing with a spatula. When the machine has stopped kneading (this takes about 20 minutes in the Breadman Pro), take out the kneading paddle and smooth the top of the loaf with your fingers. Replace the lid and let the bread machine do its thing.

Immediately after the baking cycle has finished, turn the bread out of the bread pan onto a wire rack to cool completely. Do not be tempted to cut a warm slice of bread from the loaf or it will gum up on you. After the bread has cooled completely, slice and store on the countertop for up to two days. After two days, store in the refrigerator.

5 comments:

Julie Tupper said...

This bread looks fabulous! Cross your fingers...I am going into the kitchen in a bit to make this. It will be the first time using the gelatin egg substitute. I am so excited!

Julie Tupper said...

Take the kneading paddle OUT! That is the trick! You clever, clever girl! Thank you so, so, so much for staying so committed to Project "Life". I appreciate all your help! You are truly amazing! Love ya! -J

Erin said...

Good luck!!! Tell me how it turns out!!! :)

Anonymous said...

hey!!!2 questions.instead of the gelatin how many eggs i can use?also the flour blend is just plain or with xantham gum inside?just to make sure what can i use.i am thinking of the millet-rice flour combination.thank you

Erin said...

Use this recipe for sandwich bread with eggs:

http://myaspergersgirl.blogspot.com/2008/02/perfect-sandwich-bread.html

I make my flour blends without xanthan gum. I add xanthan gum as needed to recipes as I make them.

I hope that answers your questions!