Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies (Gluten Free & Vegan)

(If you don't need to be egg free, see these chocolate chip cookie recipes
here and here.)


Let me be honest with you. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around my new vegan baking reality. I was okay with baking gluten free. After getting used to the way gluten free flours behaved, it was all good. And baking casein and soy free is no biggie. But it's a lot harder to replace eggs in baked goods. Bread turned out to be good (eternal thanks to Heather for suggesting a gelatin substitute), and so far quick breads are turning out to be good (recipes to follow soon). But cookies have been another thing completely, and I'm afraid to tackle cakes altogether - which I have to get over, as Megan celebrates a birthday next week.

In my mournful egg-free inertia, I ran across Gluten Free Gobsmacked's recipe for Chocolate Chip and Tahini Cookies. They looked really good, and they looked like they might take to being vegan fairly well. So I made a couple of changes and gave them a try. Well let me tell you, these cookies rock my kitchen. They taste awesome, they freeze well, they stay chewy without hardening. In a word, they are perfect. Thank you, Kate, for posting the original recipe and for giving me permission to post my changes. I'm so happy to have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that my whole family can enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)
generous 1 tsp. baking powder
generous 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup brown sugar
scant 1/2 cup casein free, soy free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract

10 - 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (casein and soy free, such as Enjoy Life)

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.

Whisk together the flour through the salt, set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the margarine and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the almond butter, applesauce and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix until well-blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop the cookies by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between them. Bake about 10 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit on the baking sheet 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 2 dozen.

*I like my cookies soft and chewy. If you like your cookies crispy, increase the margarine to a full 1/2 cup and decrease the flour by 1/4 cup.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi, Heather here, glad the gelatin is working out for you! Here are more egg substitutions I use that work well when doing baked goods:

1/2 c plain applesauce = 1 egg
1 small smashed banana (not too ripe)= 1 egg

Both are great in muffins, cakes and cookies.

PS: Can't wait to try this latest cookie recipe you posted!