Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vanilla Balsamic Vinaigrette

You know what's really fun? When a friend beats down your door and says "taste this and help me replicate it!". The dish in question was a cobb salad from a local gluten free restaurant, but it was not the salad that was giving my friend fits. No, it was the dressing. We tasted and tinkered and tasted again, and eventually came up with something very close to the original. Surprisingly, I tasted vanilla in the original dressing...it's interesting and very simple, but it works. I actually like the dressing as a dip for wedges of iceberg lettuce. I sent my friend home with the recipe we came up with and then told her to tinker with it some more and post her version on her blog. I'll link to it when she does (yes, M, that's a nudge to you!).

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (Modena or white - both are good)
1 tbsp. agave nectar
scant 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
8 tbsp. light olive oil or canola oil

Place the vinegar, agave and vanilla in a blender. Turn the blender on and and slowly add the oil in a thin stream. When the oil is incorporated, turn off the blender - the dressing will have thickened slightly. Serve over salad or let the kids try it as a dip for chicken nuggets. Store in the refrigerator up to a week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the nudge. I'll work on it soon and let you know. I still need help with my blog. Lets get together soon and make it nicer.

Mary Ann said...

I am going to try this recipe today! It sounds delicious! Thank you for posting it!

Mary Ann said...

I LOVE THIS RECIPE! I didn't have agave nectar, so I substituted it with honey. It was to die for! I have even put it over spinach salad with feta and strawberry salad. This will make a great fruit salad dressing also!

Erin said...

Hi Mary Ann, I'm so glad you like the dressing! Thanks for letting me know!