Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fresh Berry Sauce


Megan has become picky again with her fruits and vegetables. Currently the only "vegetable" she will "eat" (that is, if you don't count ketchup or salsa) is tomato/vegetable juice. Her list of fruit is limited to apples, bananas, strawberries, canteloupe, pineapple and sometimes, grapes. As we are eliminating the first three from her list for the time being, I had to get creative with serving her other fruit options. She likes this berry sauce only if I pick out the berries. Here's hoping the ones that got mashed lent enough of their goodness into the sauce to count for something. Anna and I, on the other hand, can't get enough of this sauce. It's great on pancakes and ice cream, and probably other things as well, but it does not last that long in our house!

1 dry pint fresh blueberries, washed
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
dash cinnamon

OR

1 dry pint fresh blackberries, washed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
dash nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Gently mash about half the berries, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve warm. Store in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.

4 comments:

stark. raving. mad. mommy. said...

This sounds delicious ... but I have a question about egg-free cooking. I tried to make breaded chicken last night, and used some Ener-G egg substitute mixed with water as the goo to keep the breading on. It tasted pretty nasty (reminiscent of Elmer's glue, actually). Do you have any suggestions as to what to use instead as an egg substitute in breading?

Erin said...

Hi Stark Raving Mad (love that name!), when I make nuggets for my girls I just rinse the meat and dust it in the coating mix. There are other things you can try, however, such as honey, BBQ sauce, mustard, yogurt, coconut milk, etc. I think rinsing and dusting with flax seed meal would be interesting, too. Maybe even fruit butter would work. Experiment and have fun!

stark. raving. mad. mommy. said...

Thanks for the good ideas. The Ener-G stuff works well for baking, but that was the first time I tried to use it to stick breading on. It certainly did stick. Like papier mache.

Also, thanks, it's my blog. Today's post, in honor of Autistic Pride Day, is my <a href="http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com>Top Ten advantages and disadvantages of Asperger's</a>. Happy Autistic Pride Day!

Erin said...

I try to stay away from Ener-G as much as possible. The papier mache does not surprise me. I was just at your blog, your Top Ten Advantage #2 is my favorite. :)