Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Easy Pancakes (Gluten Free and Vegan)


The girls' elimination diet began on Sunday, with a few hiccups here and there. They're supposed to avoid apples but I was brain farting and giving them apple juice. So I guess maybe it won't start completely until tomorrow. I've been using applesauce to replace eggs in baked goods but I can't do that now. Same for mashed bananas. So I just went for flax meal in these pancakes. They turned out really good! I served them with fresh blueberry sauce and the girls inhaled them.

1 cup GF flour blend (I used Sorghum and Millet)

1 tbsp. sugar

2 1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3 tbsp. ground flaxseed

2 tbsp. canola oil
plus enough rice milk to equal 1 cup liquid

Sift together the dry ingredients. Whisk together the canola oil and rice milk and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until mixture is just moistened and big lumps disappear.
Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle, spreading to thin if desired. Flip when edges look dry and little bubbles form on top of the batter. Cook a minute or two longer until golden brown on the bottom and remove to a plate. Serve hot with your favorite topping (I'm partial to blueberry sauce). Serves 2.

6 comments:

Foxy Momma said...

These sound really good and easy (which I love) but my oldest can't have flax (I'm so very sad about that too and hoping we will one day be able to reintroduce it with no problems). What can I use instead of flax?

Erin said...

Instead of flax, try 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana!

LauraBro said...

Can I just say that I LOVE these pancakes?! first off--they are so quick to whip up...basically like coming from a mix bag---AND they cook quickly which I have NEVER had with any GF egg free pancake recipe I've ever tried--I literally "whip" them up for my family.

ALSO--with the cinnamon--they taste very similar to french toast to me (minus the yummy egg coating) however they totally satisfy a craving I never knew I had for french toast--thank you! this will be my go to recipe (as well as your other vegan pancakes--however these cook quicker) THANK YOU!

Erin said...

Hi LB, thanks for your comment. I'm really glad you like these pancakes! As far as french toast goes...I have not tried this yet but I've seen a recipe for french toast that replaces the eggs with mashed bananas. If you try that, let me know how you like it? We can't do bananas right now. :)

Anonymous said...

My son can't have apples, either. Pear sauce is a good replacement and white grape juice, instead of apple juice. I don't know if you are near a Trader Joe's but they have pear sauce.

Erin said...

I live for the day when Trader Joe's opens near me...
Thanks for the tip about white grape juice. The pear nectar I can find around here is pretty expensive!