Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Messing around with Vegan Soy Free Mayo

Recently we learned that Anna is sensitive to nuts, at least for the time being. So for the next few weeks, mayonnaise made with almond milk is a no-go. Using that same recipe, last night I tried two milk alternatives - plain unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk and plain unsweetened rice milk.

Here's the coconut milk one. I put black pepper in it.

Here's the rice milk one. I put white pepper in it.

The girls were my taste testers and they both liked the coconut version better. Either coconut milk or rice milk work just fine. Surprisingly the coconut milk one does not taste like coconut, it tastes like mayonnaise. The rice milk one ended up slightly sweet even though I used plain rice milk. The rice milk in the box smelled slightly sweet too, so I think it's the rice. Next time I make it, I'll try replacing the lemon juice with vinegar to see if that gets rid of the sweetness.

It's good to know I can make reliably good mayo for whatever food sensitivities happen to come our way. Fingers crossed, anyway.

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Wow! This sounds great! I had no idea you could make dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free mayo with So Delicious Coconut Milk beverage. I can't wait to try it.

Aubree Cherie said...

Hi Erin, I just wanted to let you know that I linked this to my favorite recipes from last week post :)

~Aubree Cherie

Erin said...

Thanks, Aubree Cherie!