Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Black Bean Dip

Anna has been on her elimination diet for over two weeks now. One of the things she cannot eat is sesame seeds. This is a problem since hummus has been one of the staples of her diet. Lately I've been making White Bean Dip with Sage, and for variety I made this Black Bean Dip last night (original recipe here, with minor changes). I'm happy to say that Anna really likes this dip and it has now entered her safe foods rotation. Yay, safe foods!

In all honesty, I'm really cranky about Anna's new food sensitivities. I try hard to feed my children well and to find out that what Anna has been eating has been making her feel sick is a little much. I thought we'd taken care of the food issue with the elimination of the gluten/casein/soy/peanut over two years ago. I'm really feeling angry that new sensitivities have popped up like some deranged bogeyman. I'm afraid that there's some sort of immune system issue underneath all of this we don't know about, and that's scary. I'm really pissed that I can't figure out what's going on. Just sayin'.

At least the black bean dip is good.

3 cups cooked black beans*
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup salsa
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. lime juice
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground chipotle
2 green onions, white and pale green parts only

In a food processor place the black beans through the chipotle. Process until smooth. Adjust salsa and seasonings to taste. Transfer the dip to a bowl. Slice the green onions and fold them into the dip by hand before serving.

*Or you can use 2 cans of drained black beans.


2 comments:

TK Kenyon said...

Hi Erin,

Love your blog. I read your posts often.

This blog in the NYTimes caught my eye ( http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/for-a-celiac-sufferer-a-new-mystery-illness/?ref=health ) , and then I read about Anna's new host of food sensitivities.

Could it be that Candida is causing leaky gut-ness, and that this is causing sensitivites that might otherwise resolve themselves?

Didn't you move recently? Could your new house have a mold problem (also in the blog post?)

Just a thought. I'm not even sure how much I believe in the fungus-among-us hypothesis.

TK

Erin said...

Hi TK,
thanks for your comment. The yeast was the first thing I checked out, and that stool test was negative. I thought for sure it'd be yeast but it wasn't. I might think about mold but where we live is hot and dry, dry, dry. Besides, this started before we moved.

So, I don't know what else to look at...the allergist doesn't seem to know either, apart from Anna having a sensitive immune system. I need to read more about that and then march back to the allergist with more questions.

The article was really interesting, thanks for sending the link. The comments were all interesting too, especially the last one (#25).
erin