Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

GFCF Cake Brownies (Egg Free)

I've been dying to make brownies for a long time but have been hesitant to make them egg free, afraid they'd turn out gummy and heavy. I really need to get over that fear, because my recent gluten free vegan baking is turning out really well. It's true that there is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it and can anticipate how a baked good will turn out based on experience, knowledge of how your flours work and how much moisture you'll need, things get better and better. Not to jinx myself, but I'm starting to finally get comfortable baking without eggs and can modify recipes to suit our needs fairly reliably. Such as these brownies. For guidance I looked at the Chocolate Cake Brownie recipe in Mommy and Me Gluten Free and had these Rich Fudgy Brownies in mind when I came up with these cakey, fudgy egg free beauties. I don't think anyone would be able to tell they are gluten free and vegan. I love stealth baking!

Cake Brownies
2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)
3 tbsp. flax seed meal

2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

6 squares unsweetened baking chocolate

1 cup sugar

1 cup canola oil

1 1/4 cups rice milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.


In a medium bowl, sift together the flour through the salt, set aside.

Place the chocolate squares in a small bowl. Microwave the chocolate on high for 1 minute. Remove the chocolate from the microwave and stir with a fork until melted completely, about a minute. Pour the chocolate into a large bowl, add the sugar and beat with a fork until combined. Add the oil, stir until well mixed. Add the rice milk and vanilla and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth.


Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.


Frosting
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

4 tbsp. melted coconut oil

rice milk

splash of vanilla extract

shaved chocolate or mini chocolate chips, if desired


With a fork, combine the powdered sugar and coconut oil. Add the rice milk a little at a time, beating until a smooth thick frosting is achieved. Add a splash of vanilla and stir well to combine. Frost when the brownies are completely completely cooled. Decorate with shaved chocolate or mini chocolate chips, if desired. Cut brownies into 24 squares and serve. Store brownies in the refrigerator. Yield: 24 brownies.

4 comments:

Ina said...

Wow Erin, those look so good - I'm drooling here! What do you think about honey or agave nectar to replace the sugar? Would you cut back on the oil? I'm trying to find ways to use less sugar...but these sure are tempting! Ina

Penny said...

Looks so yummy - I want a taste!

Anonymous said...

Does just any baking chocolate work as cf? I've looked at them before but I never know whether or not the ingredients are cf safe so I've always chickened out. What brand do you buy?

Erin said...

I used Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate. It has no dairy.