Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, July 23, 2010

GFCF Coleslaw

My mom's coleslaw is really good. She does not have an official recipe, she makes it by memory every time. While she was visiting we went over the basics and I wrote them down. Since the coconut milk in my homemade vegan mayo makes it slightly sweeter than traditional mayo, I increased the vinegar in the coleslaw and cut back on the sugar slightly. It came quite close to the coleslaw that I remember growing up with, and everyone at our little barbecue loved it.

1 small green cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, halved and thinly sliced (or use a few scallions)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. canola or grapeseed oil
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper

In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrot and leek. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise through the pepper. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

2 comments:

HealBalanceLive/FrameFocusShoot said...

Hi Erin,
I am wondering if you can recommend a book on having a spouse with aspergers? What is the best way to deal with social situations etc.? I have a cub scout that has aspergers (thanks to your blog I am familiar with it) and his mother suggested some reading material for me. I am now wondering if my husband has some very mild form. Is there even a mild form? He is very intelligent, and avoids social situations, even dinner at the neighbors is stressful for him. Maybe he just hates being social? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!! Karen

Erin said...

Hi Karen,
our spouses sound very much alike. Please leave me a comment with your email address in it. I won't publish it, but I will email you to discuss this further!
thanks,
erin