Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Crock Pot Baked Beans

My BFF makes great baked beans from scratch. She bakes them in the oven using her grandmother's beanpot. Truthfully, I'm slightly green over her beanpot. I want one in the worst way. Actually I want two, one to pass down to each of my daughters. But until then I will have to make do with baking beans in my crock pot. Actually that's not so bad right now, as it's we've had triple digit heat for days on end and I'm loathe to have the oven on for hours at a time. This is Julie's recipe for Old Fashioned Baked Beans, modified for the crock pot and tinkered with to be a bit tangy, which is how my mom used to make them. I guess you can call these Julie's Baked Beans with Mom's Twist, though I suppose Crock Pot Baked Beans rolls off the tongue easier!




1 pound dried white beans (Julie likes Navy Beans, I prefer Great Northern)
8 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 whole medium onion, skin and outer ring removed
4 pieces bacon chopped into 2 inch pieces
2 tbsp. arrowroot starch
1/4 cup mustard (German coarse ground is nice)
1/4 cup chipotle hot sauce or to taste (I used Frontera)

Start the beans the night before you want to serve them - place the beans in a crock pot and cover them with 8 cups of water. Let them soak overnight. In the morning, add the brown sugar, molasses, whole onion and chopped bacon. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until the beans are tender. Turn the crock pot to high. Remove the onion. Take out 1/2 cup of the bean liquid, whisk the arrowroot into this liquid and return to the crock pot. Stir the arrowroot liquid into the beans and cook on high until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Turn off the crock pot. Taste the beans and add up to another 1/4 cup brown sugar if needed. Stir in the mustard and chipotle hot sauce, adjusting as needed to your taste. Serve warm.

4 comments:

Foxy Momma said...

These look really good and really easy. I've never used arrowroot before though. Would tapioca starch or potato starch substitute okay? I always have those on hand.

Erin said...

If you can't use arrowroot, I'd use cornstarch if you can. If you can't use cornstarch (like I can't!), then try tapioca starch.

Foxy Momma said...

Thanks. I have cornstarch too so I'll try that. So far corn is still okay for us but I don't use it too much to try and keep that from becoming a problem too! These look so good! I'm going to sub honey for the brown sugar though so they'll be honey baked beans (trying to reduce the amount of refined sugar we eat).

Erin said...

Maple syrup would be good, too. :) I hope you like them!