Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dairy Free, Soy Free "Sour Cream" (or Avocado Creme, How I Love Thee)


Recently I stumbled across Ellie Krieger's recipe for these Broccoli Stuffed Potato Skins with Avocado Creme. They look pretty, no? And they are YUMMY, a true crowd-pleaser. Daiya Cheddar stands in for regular sharp cheddar just fine, and the potato skins can be filled with something other than broccoli, such as chili. What is particularly exciting about the recipe is the Avocado Creme , which is a really fabulous substitute for sour cream.

I'm going to post the Avocado Creme part of the recipe here with a couple of minor changes to make it completely dairy free. I think that from now on, any time I want sour cream for something I'll whip up some Avocado Creme. It's really nice to have a dairy free, soy free sour cream substitute option and as far as I'm concerned, it will work for just about any savory dish that calls for regular sour cream!

2 medium ripe Haas avocados, skin and pit removed
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, sliced
3 tbsp. packed fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
dash white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Can be used as a topping for black bean soup, fish tacos, potato skins, breakfast burritos - the possibilities are almost endless!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Delicious! I'm thrilled to have found your blog through a Google search..just what I needed for my menu tonight. Thanks!

Erin said...

Thanks, Maggie!