Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Shae's Hot Wings

Full disclosure: I'm not a wing person. I could live without chicken wings basically forever. I don't know what it is about the chicken wing craze where we are (lots of wing restaurants everywhere), but I'm not part of the insanity. I was happy to live a wing-free life indefinitely until a friend (Shae, you did it again) made dinner for us one night. He said "I'm going to make hot wings!". I said "Hmmm. Yay!" with my fingers crossed behind my back. But seriously? I could be a slave to Shae's Hot Wings. They are SO GOOD. And I'm not a wing person, remember. But I can't get enough of these wings. Just spicy enough to be addicting, the hot sauce these wings are drenched in makes my lips tingle. If I could slurp the sauce with a spoon, I might. But my manners are too good for that...while anyone's looking, anyway.

Shae makes these wings with butter. Clearly that is not an option for us, so the last time he made them he used chicken fat instead. Hello, delicious. Tonight I made them with bacon drippings. Equally delicious. Granted, this is not a food to make every week, or every month for that matter. But every once in awhile, these are great.

Here are the wings before getting tossed in hot sauce. I made them for friends for dinner tonight. Sorry I don't have a picture of them all drenched in sauce, but as soon as I tossed them I whisked them to the table for dinner and they were scarfed immediately. No time for a picture!

2 pounds chicken wings
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, chicken fat or bacon fat
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a sheet of tin foil on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray, set aside. Combine the olive oil through the chili powder in a large bowl. Add the wings and toss to coat. Place the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.

Remove the wings to a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the hot sauce and margarine or fat of choice. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

No comments: