Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gluten Free, Vegan Buckwheat Zucchini Muffins

School started this Monday. It was so hot, like 105 degrees, the kind of hot that sizzles your skin in 10 seconds flat, coupled with the kind of humid that makes it harder to breathe. When it gets that hot and humid, it's like living in an armpit. We've been treated to this sort of heat for over a month, I think (although I stopped counting the days because it's just too depressing). Yesterday it was like, 102 degrees - not school weather. When I went to school as a kid (I can't believe I'm writing that! How old am I!) school started in September when the air had started to change, to smell like dying summer...changing leaves, an evening nip in the air, clear blue daytime skies and bright stars at night. I get none of that down here. We get two seasons - hot and not-so-hot. It's really hard to keep track of the months that way.

Finally, this morning we were treated to rain, which brought a 10 degree respite from the heat, and now it feels like autumn is just around the corner. I actually made a bean and pasta soup today, a stick-to-your-ribs soup usually saved for winter, because I was so delirious with the temperature drop. See? My senses are all skewed. So are Megan's...this morning, dressed in a tank top and shorts, she told me she felt cold! She's going to be just like the locals, dressing up in sweaters and knee-high boots and shivering like a leaf in the wind when it hits 80 degrees! Good grief, I don't stop wearing sandals until November, and that's out of peer pressure. One of these days when the girls complain about being cold, I'm going to tell them they don't know cold until they go swimming where I grew up, in the ocean in June at eight in the morning. They get heated pools down here and goodness knows why - it's as warm as bathwater from May through September!

Anyway, I digress. See? The heat makes me cranky. You know what else makes me cranky? Stepping on the odd lizard while walking outside. I'm not used to that...fuzzy bear caterpillars, yes. Random geckos with a death wish, no.

So it's the end of summer (relatively speaking) and I've finally worked the kinks out of My Mom's Zucchini Bread to make it egg-free. I made zucchini muffins all summer, batch after batch, until they came out right. Now I can post the recipe, hooray! Here's to cooler days and zucchini muffins for breakfast!


Ingredients
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1 tbsp. flax seed meal
2 tsp. guar gum (or 1 tsp. xanthan gum)
generous 1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
dash nutmeg

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup maple syrup*
1/4 cup rice milk
1 cup grated zucchini
cinnamon sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups, set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the buckwheat flour through the nutmeg, set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the canola oil, maple syrup and rice milk. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in the grated zucchini. Add a touch more rice milk if the mixture is too thick.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the muffins. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely before serving. Makes about 10 muffins.

*These muffins are not very sweet, according to my taste. I just don't like overly sweet muffins. You can taste the batter before baking and if you'd like sweeter muffins, add another 1/4 cup maple syrup and increase the flax meal by 1 tablespoon if the batter is too thin.

9 comments:

P. said...

I just made a batch of these. They're great! Thanks.

P. said...

PS - Using 1/2 c. maple syrup was perfect.

Erin said...

Thanks! :)

Tamara said...

Thank you for your egg free recipes! We have been gluten/dairy free for a few years, but we just found out about my son's egg allergy a couple of months ago. We are on a tight budget, so it's hard to experiment w/out spending extra $$. And wouldn't ya know it...the one child allergic to eggs will eat nothing but sandwiches! Your recipes have given him bread again...thanks :)

Erin said...

Hi Tamara, You are so welcome. Thanks for your comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Erin! This sounds perfect right now. Though hot here for the oven too (in the upper 90s) - and we're in Ohio, with the fuzzy caterpillars I might add. By the way, what kind of rice milk do you use? I think ours has gluten in it. Ugh, very frustrating.

Nicole said...

Awesome Erin! This sounds perfect right now. Though hot here for the oven too (in the upper 90s) - and we're in Ohio, with the fuzzy caterpillars I might add. By the way, what kind of rice milk do you use? I think ours has gluten in it. Ugh, very frustrating.

Erin said...

Hi Nicole, we use Whole Foods brand 365 Rice Milk. We switched to it after Anna reacted to Rice Dream! Pacific Foods Rice Milk is also very good.

Nicole said...

Thanks Erin! The boys had been on Rice Dream and I switched to Trader Joe's (I found out many online say it's the same thing, in a different package). I'll have to check out WF price.