Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gluten Free, Vegan Snickerdoodles

Finally! I've finally made egg-free Snickerdoodles that work! The first time I tried replacing the egg in my old recipe with applesauce (which works for many things but apparently not those cookies), they tasted truly terrible. Since then I've realized that there is more to baking without eggs than simply replacing egg in a recipe. So I scrapped the shortening for canola oil and I used maple syrup instead of sugar and ta-da! I ended up with nice soft cookies, just the way I like them. They are not crumbly, not gummy, not dense, not too sweet - just right. My kids are very happy. DH will be happy too, once he gets home.


Dry Ingredients
2 cups GF flour blend (I like this one)
2 tbsp. flax meal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp. rice milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.

Sift together the topping ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center, set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the canola oil through the vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

Scoop walnut sized balls of dough and drop them into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the dough to coat with sugar, then place onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until puffy and crackled. Remove from oven and let rest one minute on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh YUM! Snickerdoodles! They look so good. As soon as the weather turns a bit cooler, I'm going to fire up the oven and bake a batch (or two). Happy memories come to mind when I think of Snickerdoodles. -justducky