Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dairy Free, Soy Free Coconut "Sour Cream"

As a sour cream substitute, Avocado Cream is really very good. But avocados have been sub-par at the grocery stores lately, Whole Foods included, so I cannot make mock sour cream for any of my favorite foods, which include quesadillas and black bean soup. I keep looking for a dairy free, soy free and nut free sour cream alternative at the stores, but so far nobody has ponied up on that front.

So I took a gander at these recipes and bought a large container of So Delicious Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt and mixed it with a tablespoon of lemon juice (although I think plain white vinegar would work here too). I placed a fine sieve over a medium sized bowl, lined the sieve with 4 layers of cheesecloth, and poured the yogurt on top of the cheesecloth. I let the yogurt drain for 2 days in the refrigerator. There was 1/2 cup liquid in the bowl and I was able to scrape about 1/2 cup of fairly thick "sour cream" off of the cheesecloth.

So how does this "sour cream" taste? It's a little delicate tasting, not as robust as the dairy version. But I like it. It's another option, anyway, when Avocado Cream just won't do. And it was good in my black bean soup.

(Shae's Black Bean Soup with Coconut "Sour Cream")

18 comments:

Vegiegail said...

Making dairy-free sour cream from So Delicious coconut milk yogurt? What a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Erin said...

You're welcome, thanks for leaving a comment!

Anita said...

I am so excited to try this .. I just recently tried the "tofuti" version of sour cream and oh my goodness was it awfull..

Anonymous said...

I use So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk (Original) for a sour cream flavor in casseroles and things like stroganoff, but can't wait to try this to make sour cream out of the yogurt for a baked potato. And chile. And tortilla soup. And, and, and. I miss sour cream a lot! Thanks for posting this recipe!! ~Michelle~

Janet said...

sheer genious!! I need to try some of this.

Erin said...

Oh, I hope you guys like it when you try it! It's different, a little sweeter than dairy sour cream, but you can play with the amount of lemon juice/vinegar to make it a little more sour.

Robin @ toxicbeautyblog.com said...

Great idea for the lactose intolerant! We already love the So Delicious ice cream.

TK Kenyon said...

I've also heard for coconut cream, you can:

Take a can of whole coconut milk (not non- or low-fat. The real stuff.)

Put it in the refrigerator, probably overnight.

A solid layer of coconut cream will be floating on top. Remove this and let rest at room temp to melt it.

I've heard it's good, though I admit that I haven't tried it!

TK

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish, and Tofutti, aside from the taste also contains some chemicals which I am intolerant of and I think there is a small amount of dairy therein. However, there is another company which makes vegan cheeses, mayo, and sour creams called Follow Your Heart.... You'll have to check to see if they are in your area. Thanks!

Erin said...

Follow Your Heart would be fabulous if it were soy-free! :)

Jessica said...

thank you thank you thank you for posting!!!! I just found out I developed a soy allergic from using it as a subsitute (for my dairy allergy) Cannot wait to try!!!!

Erin said...

Hi Jessica, I hope you like it!

Michelle said...

Ahhh! I'm so glad I found this! I've been looking for a soy-free dairy-free sour cream for awhile so I can make my lemon poundcake. You've seriously saved my tush!!

Thank you!!

Erin said...

You're welcome! :)

Georgene G. said...

I was wondering the size of the coconut yogurt? And where you purchase it?

Erin said...

Hi Georgene, the large size I use is the 16oz. container.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cultured-coconut-milk/plain-cultured-coconut-milk

You can find a store that sells So Delicious near you via this link:

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/store-finder

Melissa said...

I accidently found out how to do this! I was using a tip for cutting out the screw top from a half gallon orange juice container in a circle and putting it on top of a mason jar with the ring. Great idea.....until my coconut milk turned into a sour gloppy, non-pouring mess. It has started to smell like yogurt/sour cream..... So I have some sour "cream" now! I only used 2 cans of Organic Nutiva Coconut Milk, and the residue of orange juice in the lid part I cut out, maybe 1 tbsp.? So excited to try in my waffle recipe!! Thank you for affirming my thoughts on WHat the heck did I make?

Erin said...

I'll have to try your version! :)