Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Gluten Free, Vegan Bran Muffins


This was the first recipe I tried replacing eggs with prune butter. Holy cow, these muffins came out so good! I'm not into muffins or sweets too much - I make them for my family - but I really enjoyed these. The prune butter keeps the muffins moist and really does add a rich flavor - and the muffins don't taste like prunes at all. I've made gluten free bran muffins before, and this vegan version is my favorite by far.

1 cup rice bran
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour Blend
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
1/2 cup prune butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup rice milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the rice bran through the xanthan gum. Add the raisins or dried currants and toss to coat. In a separate bowl, stir together the prune butter through the rice milk. Add to the flour mixture all at once and stir until well-combined.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Turn muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.

3 comments:

Walnut Creek Dietitian said...

Nice recipe! I have clients who are allergic to gluten. Can I share your recipe with them? I'm sure they'll be glad to have this. The muffins look so great. I think I can take your word for it! :)
By the way, have you tried cooking with flax seed. We'll, in our family we're always trying to be healthy. So most of the time I cook with healthy ingredients like flax seeds. I blogged about it and I compiled a list of its health benefits. Hope you can give this a try.

Erin said...

WCD - please feel free to share my recipe with your clients, thanks for asking. I've been baking with flax meal for quite some time now, I love it. I'll check out your site for new ides. :)

Ina said...

These muffins sound so yummy, and healthy too! I have missed regular bran muffins, so I must give these a try.