Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chewy Gooey Ginger Bars


Ah, Prune Butter...there is not enough time to sing its praises. It turned my Chewy Ginger Bars into total fabulousness. Don't get me wrong, they were good before now, but they had eggs in them. Eggs have been out for months now and all my current baking is gluten free and vegan. It's not so bad, really. It gets easier and easier with time, and more fun with each experiment. I promise it does, really!

For these bars I substituted two eggs with both prune butter and flax meal, cut back on the sugar and increased the leavening. I stuck them in the oven and walked away until they started smelling good. Then I turned on the oven light and watched. At first I was totally bummed out by what I was seeing...the bars had risen nice and high and fluffy and then one by one, little sections split, spit out steam, and fell. At the end, when a toothpick finally came out clean, the middle section was sunken and the edges were raised, like brownies but flatter.

When the bars had cooled completely I offered one to DH, thinking to myself that I was glad he accommodates my failures. But guess what? They ended up being great! More than great! They were so good that I had a hard time keeping away from them (and remember, I don't care for sweets too much). The prune butter makes these bars richer, tastier and more toothsome than their predecessor. If I had a choice, I'd choose to keep making these without eggs.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a bad thing that these bars turned out a little flatter than I wanted them to be initially. I'm not inclined to make any changes to this recipe, it's that good. If you try them, I hope you think so too. These bars keep well on the counter for a day or two and in fact, they taste better the next day. Store leftovers in the refrigerator until they are gone...in our house, they did not last long.

2 cups Sorghum Chickpea Blend
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup canola oil or coconut oil
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup prune butter
1 tbsp. flax meal in 3 tbsp. very hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan, set aside.

Stir the flax meal into the 3 tbsp. very hot water and let sit for several minutes to thicken and gel.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour through the cloves, set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the canola oil or coconut oil together with the brown sugar until smooth. Add the molasses through the flax meal mixture and stir until well blended. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary (I did all of this with a large spoon, but you can use a Kitchen Aid).

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan - it will be thick. Spread the batter evenly. Place in the oven and bake about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the bars in the pan completely on a wire rack before serving.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

These chewy ginger bars look amazing & pretty too!

I must make them soon!