Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sauteed Kale

I love kale - really, really love it. Actually, I love most greens...spinach, swiss chard, beet greens, mustard greens...the greener, the better. My tastes have slowly changed over the years from preferring savory over sweet almost all the time. It started when I was pregnant with Anna. I just could not get enough of spinach. Crazy, right? I craved the stuff from morning till night. I'd eat it cold for breakfast. The nurse at the midwife's office was shocked at how high my iron levels were, she said she'd never seen them so high in a pregnant woman before...I think she thought this was good. I was pleased, anyway, and then went home to eat more spinach. Funny that now, Anna loves the stuff too. Veggies and greens are right up her alley. I can't get her to eat kale yet, but maybe someday she'll love it too.

Megan, on the other hand, limits herself to ketchup, vegetable juice, and Bell peppers. Unless they are in a soup, Megan doesn't do veggies. She's been getting a little better about eating sweet potato and butternut squash and she'll even tolerate a little pesto now and then. It's a start.

Speaking of Megan, her whole drama crystallized for us last week. On Friday morning, DH gave her a hug and said "Megan, I need you to be a brave girl and go to school today. Mommy and I know you work really hard, and we know school is hard for you. We are going to get you some help". Megan heaved a big sigh and visibly relaxed in his arms. We were like - wow. She knows. And for now, it's good enough for her to know that we know too. Two weeks and counting until her evaluation.

And so for now, I leave you with this yummy kale recipe. It's really simple but very good. The vinegar might be the most important part of this dish - it makes the kale vibrant. The original recipe by Bobby Flay can be found here.

1 large bunch kale
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Wash the kale, removing the stems. Tear the leaves into large chunks. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until soft but not brown. Add the stock and the kale. Toss the kale to coat with stock and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and continue cooking, stirring, until the stock has evaporated. Turn off the heat. Add the vinegar and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

3 comments:

Ina said...

I'm with you Erin, love love greens! Glad to hear your little one is feeling some relief. Ina

goodfountain said...

I wish I liked greens more. Cooked greens just don't do much for me unless they are cooked in soup or mixed in with something like lasagna.

Have you seen this blog: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

It's been around awhile so chances are you have, but I discovered it recently and the recipes look good. I made the filling for her vegan lasagna and it turned out great.

I think she's also GF.

Erin said...

Ina - thanks. :)

Goodfountain - I have perused fatfreevegan's site and I agree, her recipes look really good. I've tried a couple and and liked them. I'll have to go check out the vegan lasagna...I have not had lasagna for over a year!