Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Prune Butter (Egg Substitute)


It's been busy here lately. Among a myriad of other things, I've been trying to find creative ways to replace eggs in my baked goods. Whereas before I'd use applesauce or mashed banana as egg replacers, I can't do that now with Anna's elimination diet. I've been using a lot of flax and needed a change - flax meal, while good, isn't a great egg substitute for everything.

So while searching for other egg substitutes I ran across this recipe for Prune Syrup which is meant to replace butter. But I thought...why can't it replace the applesauce and banana which are no longer options for me? So I tried it. And it's divine. I've made this prune butter a thicker version of Prune Syrup and it lends a decadent, rich quality to my egg-free baking! Plus, prunes are so healthy and the only way the girls will eat them is if they are hidden in something. So far, so good...my baked goods are coming out awesome and the girls are none the wiser. I love stealth baking!

1/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 lb prunes

1/4 cup water

Soak the prunes in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain. Place agave nectar and prunes in a food processor and process until nearly smooth. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the 1/4 cup water. You may need to scrape the sides and process a bit more to get the mixture smooth and thick. Refrigerate up to one week. Use 1/4 cup prune butter to replace 1 egg.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Hi! Just found this site today looking for GF brownies, and found this recipe for prune butter. Never heard of it, but am intrigued by the idea of it. Just wanted to share with you that my daughter researched Agave syrups/nectar and found that they were not healthy, so we quit using them. Have you heard this or done any research into it? I am conflicted about whether it is good or not! Thanks!

Erin said...

Hi Joyce, I agree that agave nectar is not good for you, it's been awhile since I wrote this post. I don't use it anymore. Instead I use honey or maple syrup, or sometimes brown rice syrup. I'd use less honey and maple syrup than agave nectar because they are sweeter than agave nectar. :)