Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Sloppy Joe Turnovers


My mom used to make Sloppy Joe Turnovers for my brother and I when we were kids. Back then she used sour cream and Hungry Jack Biscuits. Fond memories of growing up made me copy the recipe down before I got married (some people fill hope chests, I filled shoe boxes with recipes) and it's taken me oh...many years...to finally make it for my daughters. These meaty turnovers are definitely kids food - DH thought they were "okay", but my girls thought they were great!

Sloppy Joe Turnovers
pastry for 1 crust pie
1/2 pound ground beef
2 tbsp. minced onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce
2 tbsp. plain dairy free, soy free yogurt (such as So Delicious)

Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet over medium heat brown the beef, onion and garlic. Drain the fat off and turn off the heat. Add the salt, ketchup or BBQ sauce and yogurt and mix well. Set aside.

Roll the pastry and cut into circles with a biscuit cutter (don't roll too thin or the pastry will tear). Place about 1 tbsp. of the meat mixture onto each pastry circle, fold in half and press the edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Cut a slit on the top of each turnover to vent. Gently transfer the turnovers to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - these look great! It makes me think of gluten free sausage rolls....how yum! I have been pondering this for a while, and your recipe makes me want to make them all the more. Thanks for sharing, Ina

Erin said...

Ina, please do your sausage rolls, they sound good! :)