Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gluten Free Vegetable Tempura and Marinated Tuna

My dad made a trip to see us for Christmas this year. He is partial to Asian food, so we made sushi for Christmas. He mentioned tempura and suddenly, I really had to have some! My little sushi cookbook does not have a recipe for homemade tempura (it tells you to buy a package of the stuff, none of which are gluten free), but I found a promising candidate here at Chief Family Officer. I halved the recipe and it was still more than enough for 3 adults, and it was a big hit!

For our vegetable tempura we used sweet potato, butternut squash, bell pepper (which I don't recommend) - all cut into 1 inch chunks - and sliced avocado. I only threw in the sliced avocado because we had some left over and needed to use it for something, but it ended up being my favorite! Texans may have their fried butter, but I think fried avocado is much better! Not all the time, mind you, just sometimes...it's very good. We ended up running out of rice so I topped the avocado tempura with marinated tuna and that was my favorite combination of the night.

(Avocado tempura doesn't look like much, but it tastes fabulous!)

What may be the most exciting element of all this is that coconut aminos can be used to replace soy sauce, which is what the marinated tuna calls for in the recipe below. I like throwing in a dash of fish sauce with the coconut aminos, but you don't have to...in fact the girls like rice with just plain coconut aminos drizzled on top. I can find Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos in my local Whole Foods in the Asian food section...while expensive, a little goes a long way!

Gluten Free Tempura Batter
1 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup seltzer (carbonated water)
canola oil

Add enough canola oil to a medium pot to be 3 inches deep. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. Whisk together the rice flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the seltzer and whisk until well-blended. Working with small batches at a time, coat whatever vegetables you are using for tempura with the batter and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Marinated Tuna for Sushi
6oz sashimi-grade tuna
juice of 2 lemons
4 tbsp. raw coconut aminos, divided
2 tbsp. finely sliced chives
1/2 tsp. wasabi paste, or more according to taste

Combine the lemon juice and 1 tbsp. coconut aminos in a shallow bowl. Add the tuna and turn to coat. Place the tuna in the refrigerator and let marinate 30 minutes. Remove the tuna from the refrigerator. Using a very sharp knife and wiping the knife with a damp cloth between slices, slice the tuna against the grain into 1/3 inch thick strips.

Arrange the tuna slices on a platter and sprinkle with the sliced chives. Combine the remaining 3 tbsp. coconut aminos and the wasabi paste and and serve alongside the tuna with sushi rice (or avocado tempura!).

1 comment:

Ina said...

This looks so yummy! I have not heard of coconut aminos before, will have to look for it. I so wish we had a Whole foods store where I live - I love that store! And soda water is fabulous in a fried batter, love that too!