Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mustard Greens with Garlic and Mustard Seeds

Calcium has been on my mind a lot lately. We don't do dairy (or soy), which cuts a lot of calcium out of our diet. Or does it? The more I think of all the greens we eat around here, the less concerned I am about our calcium intake. I am challanged as to how to get the girls to eat calcium-rich greens like DH hnd I do, but they eat sardines, which are one of the foods that are very high in calcium (and omegas!) and I will be buying more hemp milk for them to drink, which will help.

So my very favorite dark leafy greens are high in calcium - kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, spinach, arugula and to a lesser extent, beet greens. Even cabbage has a lot more calcium than I thought it did. The greens that are even higher in calcium than all of these? Collard greens, turnip greens and dandelion greens. I've never tried those, and that will have to change!

Tonight I'd like to offer this recipe for mustard greens. I really like mustard greens. They are very slightly bitter, but lemon juice brightens their flavor (like vinegar does with kale). On the off chance we have any leftover sauteed greens, I like to chop them and toss them with quinoa and other leftovers for a kind of hippie chow. I love hippie chow. Leftovers thrown together and tossed in a bowl for lunch - yum!


Mustard Greens with Garlic and Mustard Seeds

1 large bunch mustard greens
1 generous tbsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. lemon juice or more to taste

Remove the spines from the mustard greens. Wash the greens and tear them into chunks. Place them in a bowl and set aside. You don't want them dripping wet, but you don't need to spin-dry them, either.

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the minced garlice and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the wine and the mustard greens, tossing the coat the greens with the garlic and mustard seeds. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and stir. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has been evaporated. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve hot.

3 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - You are so right about greens - loaded in calcium. We plant collard greens every year - absolutely my favorite green. Have you ever tasted Lambs Quarter? It is super delicious - a green that was once called poor mans spinach. So yummy! Many people consider it a weed - but I always look forward to a new plant or two each year - and so far it has not taken over the garden. If you ever get a chance to grow some, it is so worth it.

Erin said...

Ina, I've never had lamb's quarter! I will have to try it..can't say I've ever seen it, so I guess we'll have to plant some! Oh darn! :)

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

MMMM,;...Erin!! What a tasty greens dish!

I love it so much. Normally, I only add fried garlic & fried red hit chili pepper pieces to the wilted greens.

Thanks!