Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ginger Lemon Tea


I am sick. DH and the girls have done nothing for the past three weeks except cough, hack, and sneeze all over me. All over the house. Even all over the cat. Now I have whatever it is they gave me. My mom has praised the virtues of fresh ginger and lemon tea for years and now I feel just terrible enough to try it. I'm not a huge fan of ginger (not even ginger ale) but tonight I threw some fresh ginger into some boiling water and steeped it (more or less). And I have to say, the stuff is very good. I like it. It feels good going down, like chicken soup does when you are under the weather. I made a big container of this tea and I'm not sure it will last very long at all. Thanks, Mom, for the tip - you really do know best!

8 cups water
3 inch knob of fresh ginger
3 - 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, to your taste
2 - 3 tbsp. local honey, if you like

Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot. Peel the ginger and thinly slice. Place the ginger in the boiling water, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes (I forgot about mine and it simmered about 40 minutes, and my tea turned out perfectly fine). Strain the tea through a fine-mesh sieve. Add the lemon juice and honey to taste. Store the tea in the refrigerator and heat before serving.

*The ginger taste was just enough for me, but my tea is probably on the mild side. If you really enjoy ginger and don't mind pulp, use a 4 inch knob of it and consider grating it and not straining it.

4 comments:

Ina said...

That is a recipe I swear by - so good for you too, feel better :)

JW said...

I am starting in on a cold. I am absolutely going to try this!!! I think what I'll do is take 2c of water and put it in the blender with the ginger and see what happens. The more ginger goodness I can keep in there, the better!

Thanks for sharing!

Terina Dee said...

Oh my goodness! I stalk your blog, but don't usually comment, but Ginger Lemon tea! Just discovered it and I'm addicted and I really think it has helped avert several bouts with the cold bug. Now I'm so bad that I keep a pot steeping daily. I hear it's great cold too, so summer, bring it!

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

MMMMMMMM,...I love ginger & lemon tea too!

There is nothing better than home made tea!!

greets!