Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

White Bean Soup with Chipotle Onions and Roasted Carrots


It's been a week since I posted my last recipe (Ginger Lemon Tea) and although I have been dutifully drinking said tea, I'm still sick. I think it's a sinus infection, because for two days my upper teeth and gums have hurt along with my sinuses. While ginger tea is tasty, what I really crave right now are onions. Not only do onions taste good, they have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Acting on a tip from my DH's mom, I've used raw onion to treat ear aches - 20 minutes of holding a halved raw onion over the ear helps alleviate pain. Weird but true, and especially helpful late at night when a child wakes up screaming with ear pain. My grandparents have told stories of how their parents treated fevers and congestion with onion poultices. I have not tried that one yet. I'd rather eat my onions, thanks.

DH makes some mean onions. I love them. He makes them almost every weekend and I sneak whatever leftovers make it into the fridge (often to his chagrin). I can't help it, they are spicy and fabulous, good on just about everything. Recently he's been making them extra hot so that I can't eat them by the spoonful without being thrown into coughing fits. I think he's trying to keep me out of the leftovers, but his tactic failed. I threw them into my bean soup - they really enlivened it!

This bean soup is loosely based on this recipe here. I like color to my soup so I added carrots. The soup also benefits from the addition of a little lemon juice. However, it's DH's onions that really make the soup!

White Bean Soup with Chipotle Onions and Roasted Carrots

First, cook the onions
Two large onions, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder, plus more as desired

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and saute over low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and the salt and continue cooking until the onion is soft, at least another 5 minutes. Sprinkle the chipotle powder over the onions, stir well and promptly remove from the heat and set aside. The onions should be too overpowering to eat by themselves (unless you really want to clear your sinuses out!), but they will taste fabulous mixed in with the soup (and lots of other things too!).

Then, roast the carrots
2 cups baby carrots
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl toss the carrots with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Spread the carrots on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven 20 - 25 minutes, stirring once, until the carrots are soft enough to be easily pierced with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and let cool. Chop and set aside. Roasting the carrots brings out their natural sweetness, which is very nice in this soup.

Last, prepare the soup
1 pound dried white beans (I like Great Northern)
8 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 large sprig fresh rosemary or thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste

Soak the beans in water overnight. Alternatively, place the beans in a large pot and cover them with water by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil. Boil the beans for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover, and let beans sit for an hour.

Drain the beans and return them to the pot. Add the vegetable stock, bay leaf and sprig of rosemary or thyme. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat. Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are soft. Turn off the heat. Remove the bay leaf and sprig of rosemary or thyme. Puree half the beans in a blender until smooth and return them to the pot. Add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, carrots and reserved onions with their oil. Stir the soup well and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.

2 comments:

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

MMMMMM,...This tasty & aka 1 meal in a soup looks amazing & ooh so flavourful too!

I hope you will feel better soon! I will keepmy finger's crossed!

I have a cold now & was feverish yesterday!

Erin said...

Thanks Sophie! I am feeling better now, slowly but surely. I hope you feel better soon too!