Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cold Roasted Golden Beets with Maple Balsamic Dressing

I have a few weaknesses. One is for cookbooks. Another is for pretty produce. Imagine my intrigue when I saw golden beets the other day! They were such a lovely color and they were not any more expensive than red beets - I had to buy them. I brought them home, lopped off the greens and roasted the roots. While the beets were roasting, I sauteed the greens* with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper (they were yummy). When the beets were done roasting and had cooled, I slipped off their skins and cut off the ends. They were so pretty with their concentric circles, so I sliced them into rounds. They tasted sweeter than red beets, so I tossed them with a maple balsamic dressing (based on this recipe here). They were good warm. They were good at room temperature. And they were even better the next day cold and straight out of the refrigerator. Folks, I am a total fan of golden beets. One of these days I hope to get my kids to try them on their own...until then, I may try slicing these beets thinly and hiding them in their sandwiches. Think I can get away with it?

1 bunch golden beets
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1 generous tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. dijon mustard
pinch each salt and pepper
snipped chives

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Snip off the beet greens*, leaving at least 1 inch of the stems attached to the beets. Rinse the beets and place them into a baking dish. Pour water into the dish about 1/2 inch deep. Cover the dish with tin foil. Place the beets in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes or until the beets are tender and easily pierced with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.

When the beets have cooled, slice off the ends of each and slip off the skins with your fingers. Slice each beet into 1/4" thick circles. Place the beet circles in a shallow dish in a single overlapping layer. Whisk together the olive oil through the pepper and pour over the beets. Scatter snipped chives over all. Serve cold or at room temperature.


*Save your beet greens and saute them - wash the greens and tear them into large chunks (or, if you want to be fancy, roll them up cigar-like and slice them into strips). Heat a little olive oil in a skillet and add 2 large minced cloves garlic. Cook, stirring constantly for a minute, then add the beet greens and toss to coat. Cook, stirring, until the greens are wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.

1 comment:

Ina said...

Beautiful! I can hardly wait for our farmers market to open...love, love, beets!